Making a Mixed Media Journal Cover
Save your odds and ends to make this mixed media journal cover. This is a great project or gift for a tween or teen.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This was a fun craft using odds and ends of junk and then letting my imagination flow!
Total Time: 6 hours
- assortment of miscellaneous hardware
- 1 container gesso
- 1 wide paint brush
- 1 bottle glue
- 4 scraps mixture of lace, burlap, tulle, or other fabric scraps
- 1 container 3D modge podge
- assorted embellishments: stickers, buttons, beads, jewels, pearls, small craft items
- assorted acrylic paints and metallic paint
- 1 can spray varnish
- 1 journal
- 2 sheets cardstock
- 2 sheets scrapbook paper
- Gather decor and embellishments for the journal. "Think outside the box." Organize into piles according to type of decor, for example, beads, buttons, metal, etc. Begin by painting gesso over entire surface of journal and let dry.
- On a piece of paper, arrange the decor and embellishments. Take a picture of the design to use as a pattern while in the process of gluing the design to the journal.
- Gesso scraps of burlap, lace, fabric, etc. onto the journal. Allow to dry. Begin gluing the decor to the journal, leaving out the embellishments that you don't want painted. Let dry. Apply another layer of gesso over surface and let dry.
- Using a mixture of water and your choice of colors of paint, fill a spray bottle half full, with half water and half paint, using one spray bottle per color.
Mist spray one color of paint at a time on the journal in the areas where you want the color. Let dry between colors. Use as many other colors of paint as you desire and repeat the process. Let dry.
- Add metallic paint to parts where you want to have a metal look. If adding wording, apply 3D Modge Podge (following directions and allowing to dry) the wording or the stickers to give a three dimensional look. Glue onto journal.
- Spray varnish the project. Apply glitter immediately so it will stick to varnished surface. When dry, using glue, add the other embellishments.
- For inside of journal, measure and cut cardstock and scrapbook paper to fit the dimensions of the inside of the journal. Glue into place.
- A unique way to use your creativity!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.