Making a Poultry Brine

Category Meat
Soaking a bird in brine before roasting can make the meat very moist. This guide is about making a poultry brine.

Soaking the chicken in brine to avoid dry chicken sounds like it would work. What is brine?

By pat from West Sacramento, CA

Answers

Brine is a strong salty solution. I've never brined a bird, but I know people who have, and they say it is wonderful. I try to do low-sodium, so it just doesn't sound like a good idea (although, if I went to someone's house, I'd be sure to taste!).

I checked allrecipes.com and searched for brined chicken. This recipe had the highest reviews:
http://allrecip  rine/Detail.aspx

I think sea salt is the best to use in the water if you want to brine the bird from a health standpoint. I also use low salt in my cooking.

I have never brined one either. Cooking in a crockpot it is never dry though.

To brine or not to brine often depends upon the recipe. However, if it is moister chicken you are looking for (I'm specifically talking about fried or baked chicken pieces with the skin on), try marinating the pieces for 8 hours or overnight in buttermilk, (keep refrigerated).

I haven't tried this for all of my chicken recipes (but will be trying with skinless pieces in the future), but for the ones I have, the finished dish has been quite moist. Be sure to dispose of the buttermilk after marinating.