Masquerade Party Ideas

Category Planning
The ultimate, classic party theme with plenty of costumes, masks, fun decorations, and many delicious foods. This guide contains masquerade party ideas.

This is a guide about sweet 16 masquerade party ideas. Planning a masquerade theme for your 16th party is romantic and fun.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about masquerade party cake ideas. Masquerade is a fun theme for any party and every party needs cake.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about masquerade games and activities. Planning games and activities that complement your masquerade themed party just adds to the fun.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains masquerade ball decoration ideas. Create a fun, party atmosphere full of intrigue, mystery, and disguise.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Mardi Gras masquerade party ideas. Mardi Gras themed parties are very popular.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I'm planning my sweet sixteen birthday party and the theme, I'm dead set on it, is Alice's Adventures In Wonderland masquerade. I need some tips on decorations and other ideas for it. Can anyone help me?

By Quinnifer from Auburn, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Tea, of course, a la the Mad Hatter's tea party. I don't know how you could do it, but see if the cake can be made in the shape of a mushroom, like the "bigger/smaller" mushroom Alice ate. Costumes should be easy, I'd just go with the characters. Games? Croquet with lawn flamingo's, lol! Have a blast!

Best Answer

I am thinking of doing this myself. I will go to my bakery shop and ask for petits fours (teeny tiny cakes) with "Eat Me" written on them. Then go to Hobby Lobby and find tiny little bottles and make labels that say "Drink Me" with kool-aid inside. I am not sure where, but I know you can find giant inflatable chairs that I was going to take a pic of each guest on as a gift (to look as if they had shrunk.)

I need help figuring out a budget for a masquerade themed Sweet 16 in Mississippi.

Answers

Budgeting for a party

Step 1
Figure out how much money you have to spend

Step 2
if you need to rent a place, deduct that amount. Bowling or skating parties charge per person. Include those fees too. If you have it at home or in a park, it's a lot cheaper

Step 3
Deduct any decorations for the party

Step 4
Decide how many guests you want

Step 5
Each guest will eat approximately 1/4 pound or meat, or two slices of pizza. Figure on two medium cups of soda. You will need to serve side dishes and cake. Add up what all the food will cost.

Step 6
Deduct the food from what you had left. If you have money left over, you can invite more people. If not, deduct more people.

I'm hoping to have a masquerade themed sweet sixteen, but the only problem I see with it is I have no idea what to do to keep my guests entertained. There will be dancing and a photo booth, but as far as anything else to have I can't think of anything that would tie into the masquerade theme. Help!

Answers

Sounds like fun! Good for you coming up with a great theme!

OK...here are a few ideas.
Ask each person for an electronic picture of their faces, print them each full size on paper then cut their pictures into 3 slices horizontally. Then either photo the slices and show them on a wall or physically tape up one slice at a time on the wall and everyone has to guess who it is with only one slice of portrait. If no one guesses, add the second slice.
Winner gets a silly little prize.
OR you can use the cut up portraits and mix and match them together onto a new portrait and post them on the walls OR leave them out at the tables.

The guests need to identity what belongs to who (perhaps on the back of each picture) I think it will cause lots of laughs and be interactive with the guests.

The game where you write names (of either celebrities, famous people or even various careers) on strips of paper that the person has to hold on their foreheads (or even just give each person an envelope with the name...THEY can't read it though!) and another person has to give them clues to who they are. You can limit the clues any way you'd like from: only one word clues to only physically acting out the clues.
IF you are having a photo booth you could also invite each guest to bring an accessory or article of clothing that you add to a box that they can wear in the photos. I'd make sure to have some silly and fun stuff too (big crazy hats, fur, even fake silly mustaches, etc) You could post them on the walls for everyone to guess who the picture is as an extra idea.
Enjoy your party!

I am in need of unique party ideas for a black carpet masquerade party event. I want to use different ideas with champagne glasses. I want it cute, classy, sexy, and elegant.
The party is for Halloween.

By Kiki

Answers

Good for you! Sounds like fun! I would get dry ice and have the bar set up with it looking like a Mad Doctor's lab with all sorts of colored bottles, etc. I would print out a beverage menu on the computer with cool names for regular drinks (Vampires Blood, Love potion, zombie juice, etc.) Wish I could be there! Enjoy!

I am having a 30th birthday party for my sister. It's a masquerade party because it's the week before Halloween. Any suggestions for the invites or things to do?

By Michelle from IL

Answers

Make invitations that look like masks, perhaps?

I'm turning the sweet 16 in May and I wanted to get everything under control for my party. The theme I was thinking of would be a Masquerade Ball or "Unmask the Night". The color will be black, silver, and white.

I'm a very fun type of girl and I've got a lot of friends. I thought that this would be a great theme for me. My mom is renting out a hall, which holds close to 75 people. I picked the color scheme for black, silver, and white is because it's some of the easiest stuff to find.

I need help with decorations though. I was going to put a black and white theme for every other table. In the middle of the table I was thinking of putting either an upside down top hat filled with black and white roses or the happiness and tragedy mask as center pieces. I'm really into theater, I just think that it's so much fun. Also, my friend and I are singers, we're probably making up a special CD for this.

My party is formal, boys are to either wear all black or all white tuxes and girls must wear black dresses since they are easier to find. My dress will be a prom dress, a very beautiful black and white gown. There will be masks at the front door (all different shapes and sizes) and they wear the masks until after my speech, introducing them all to my party and the whole theme. I will have a grand entrance from what I know of.

My dad and I will have a father/daughter slow dance to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack. My boyfriend and I will basically be the Phantom and Christine. It's both of our favorite movies. I'm wondering where black and white masks can be found along with decorations for cheap. And do you think that it'll be better to make everything by hand or just buy them?

Also, does anyone know of any good food to serve? I mean we'll basically be serving lunch/dinner so I was thinking of roast beef and everything.

Also if anyone knows of any good websites for nice looking gowns please let me know. I've been shopping around and there are plenty of dresses that I like, but they either cost way too much or they don't have my size when they are on sale. I don't want a dress that really costs over $100, I know to look in different shops. Come to think of it I can make my dress myself. I know how to sew, but it'd be to expensive for material (even if it's on sale).

Thanks!

Kristynne from Pemberton, NJ

I'm turning the sweet 16 in May and I wanted to get everything under control for my party. The theme I was thinking of would be a Masquerade Ball or "Unmask the Night". The color will be black, silver, and white. I'm a very fun type of girl and I've got a lot of friends. I thought that this would be a great theme for me. My mom is renting out a hall, which holds close to 75 people. I picked the color scheme for black, silver, and white because it's some of the easiest stuff to find.

I need help with decorations though. I was going to put a black and white theme for every other table. In the middle of the table I was thinking of putting either an upside down top hat filled with black and white roses or the happiness and tragedy mask as center pieces. I'm really into theater, I just think that it's so much fun. Also, me and my friend are singers, we're probably making up a special CD for this.

My party is formal, boys are to either wear all black or all white tux's and girls must wear black dresses since they are easier to find. My dress will be a prom dress, a very beautiful black and white gown. There will be masks at the front door (all different shapes and sizes) and they wear the masks until after my speech, introducing them all to my party and the whole theme. I will have a grand entrance from what I know of.

Thanks!
Kristynne from Pemberton, NJ

Answers:

Masquerade Ball or "Unmask the Night" Party Ideas

Check out Goodwill for donated fancy gowns. In my town, they are about $25.
Once you dry clean it and make repairs, if any, you will have something worth a lot more than you paid for it. (08/02/2006)

By cookwie

For decorations or even dresses try eBay! Also you may want to check out any local Freecycle groups (freecycle.org) that may have some stuff. Also for decorations you can check out some of the party stores (especially around the New Year) or even Oriental Trading Post online. They have a ton of stuff.

For foods it depends if you want to do a buffet or not. There are a lot of sites with sample menus, you just need to do a Google search.

Hope you find what you need and happy early birthday. (08/02/2006)

By little_sis1978

If you're looking for elegant, well, I really can't help there, but here are some ideas for the down to earth buffet styled food, really just basically finger foods, the stuff everyone loves! Lots of this you can make yourself ahead of time or buy in bulk at someplace like Sam's. Sandwiches cut into quarters and crust removed of egg salad, chicken salad, and/or pimento cheese, veggie tray with ranch dip, meatballs, tiny sausages in barbeque sauce, sliced roast, turkey and/or ham with rolls, a selection of cheeses and condiments, mixed nuts, snack mix with pretzels, marinated crab claws, cheese puffs or cheese straws, hot crab dip and/or spinach artichoke dip with crackers, mini quiches, fried or barbequed split chicken wings or chicken strips, mini crab cakes, egg rolls, cold pasta salad, and of course some sweets! How about the main cake being a sweet sixteen cake, then some other type of cake like mandarin orange, carrot, or pineapple, brownies, fruit salad, fresh fruits with a chocolate fountain, bowls of mixed chocolates, for beverages always have a special fruity punch with the regular soft drink selections. Maybe something hot like coffee or tea. (08/02/2006)

By mef1957

Yeah Im doing the same thing. Mine is in May as well. Well the party is. I found great masks. My colors are purple, navy, black, and silver, which aren't very easy to find, but the site for some pretty rad masks is.
http://homepage.mac.com/koyawiz/hommask/PhotoAlbum3.html

They're all gorgeous masks.
(12/04/2007)

By Andi

Masquerade Ball Party Ideas

It's my Sweet 16 also, but I'm not like a richie rich so I can't just have my mom go rent a hall or something so it's at my house on my deck. Everyone's coming with either red, black, or white and coming with a masque they had either made themselves or bought. My party is Sunday and it is Thursday! YIKES! I think I can do this cause I am planning my party. This is how it has to be done haha!

I made a menu with appetizers, salads, entrees, desserts, and beverages and dinner is at 6. We are doing like a "Clue" type thing where in the beginning when you get there you pick a name out of a hat and that's what your called throughout the night. There are only 7 of us so it should be more fun than like 75 people cause then all 7 can interact at the same time.

We will be voting on best masque and after supper play fun games around the table for example: Exquisite Corpse, Truth or Dare, What if..., and in the end an evening scavenger hunt. A friend of mine is going to be the waitress and also wear a masque along with my brother who will be the butler. I think this is fun and a great idea! and really cheap so if you ever wanna do it send out invitations that just say "Black Tie Event: Masquerade!" We are wearing formal dresses and tuxes; it should be an eventful and fun night! Have a great day! (08/13/2008)

By Christina

Same! Sweet 16 Halloween masquerade, but my mum rented out the library to get a mysterious feel. As far as dress goes, I agree with everyone. You girls may think it's great, but I know very few of my guy friends who would rent out a tux for a birthday party. I'm just having my friends dress up in their Halloween outfits and letting them either bring their own masks or get one at the party. Tell them to keep their costumes nice, though.

A contest might be a good idea - best costume, best mask, etc. It gets things going a little. Just because you can throw a wedding-like sweet sixteen, doesn't mean it has to be overwhelming. Remember, teenagers really just like to sit around and hang out. Don't make your party so nice it's threatening! (09/14/2008)

By Bee

You can find masks on www.houseofmasquerades.com

They have tons! Fancy or plain. I'm doing something similar, it's a black and white formal party. I just need to find some food ideas. (09/22/2008)

I'm having the same theme for my daughter's Sweet 16 in March. Her decoration colors are similar to Mardi Gras: purple, gold, and green. The dress attire for her guests is black and white only. Her dress is yellow and her girls are dressed in light shade of yellow so they can stand out from the guests.

Her invitations were custom made with a mask included so they can wear them to the party, if not there will be masks available at the entrance. We rented a hall that holds about 300 people. Lots of friends. A special menu is catered for the adults. Since it is a teenager party I have a special buffet menu for them that they all love: chicken fingers and fries, pizza, and for dessert there's a chocolate fountain and a sundae and candy buffet. It's easier for them since they like to hang out and mingle.

A special thank you speech will be given, a father and daughter dance, hats, boas, and glow in the dark item will be given out when all the dancing starts so they can party away. There are alot of places I got great at? I would be happy to give you the info. if needed. Hope you have a great one, because I know we will. (10/25/2008)

By Katheryne

I'm doing a masquerade for my Sweet Sixteen. I rented a banquet hall for the guests and catering as well. A DJ was also rented so we can keep everyone entertained. I am also thinking of doing a murder mystery within it, except it will be a surprise. The hall has a projector and screen, so I will prerecord a message saying how its actually a murder mystery, and the longer it takes, the more people that will die.

Clues will be placed around and a prize will be given to whomever can figure it out first. There will be about 50+ people. Afterwards there will be dancing and I will do a specially choreographed dance. I will change outfits for this because I'm wearing a big poufy white dress I bought on eBay for about 45$.

There will be prizes for Best Dressed, Best Mask, and First to find the Killer. It will most likely be gift cards for like 25$. Masks will be given out as invitations with little baggies of decorations so they can decorate their masks. Dinner will be a buffet/semi-sit down. The tables will be set with centerpieces that are a fountain like silver starry tassel and they will be sitting in marbles. I will spread confetti on the tables. Dress is semi-formal. I'm telling the girls to wear Homecoming dresses, for the guys, anything but jeans. I'm excited! It's only a month away! (02/25/2009)

By Emma

I'm planning a masquerade ball in the middle of Jan. 2007. I need ideas. If you have anything let me know; foods, decor, anything will be great.