Organizing Useful Tips from Websites

Category Miscellaneous
There is so much good information out on the web, but sometimes trying to organize it can be daunting. This is a page about organizing useful tips from websites.

I got tired of losing scraps of notes I made on popular websites. I bought a very small spiral tablet, labeled it Websites to Visit, and put it near my TV and radio. Now I note all the interesting stuff in one place. I can browse the sites when I have time.

By Barbara from Park Ridge, IL

I have found so many wonderful tips on ThriftyFun and know I can't remember them all so I came up with an idea. I print and cut out the tips that I like and place them listed by category in an old recipe box. Then I have them at my fingertips when I need them.

By Gee from Benton, AR

I love all the tips I read on this site and I often want to keep something in case I want to use it later on. I have found a good way to keep the information handy for later on.

I open a new email document before I read Thrifty Fun (in Outlook Express) then, when I read something I want to keep, or print out, I highlight and copy that part into my 'New' email. It's then easy to print out what ever I want.

If there are several tips I want to keep in the list of tips, either cooking, or house cleaning tips, I open another 'New' email and I copy the different tips into a 'New' email and give them an appropriate 'Subject' heading.

I already have 'Folders' in my Outlook Express eg. Cooking, Cleaning, Gardening, Pet or Craft, etc. This makes it so easy to save the tips into the appropriate folder. It's then quick to find a particular tip.

Another way is to just save them into a Folder into 'My Documents' in Outlook Explorer.

By Wendy M. from Hervey Bay

Editor's Note: Another helpful way is for our registered users. Anytime you see a tip, recipe or article you like, just hit the "Follow" link under the title and then you can access it whenever you like, in your bookmarks. Registering is free and only takes a minute, or you can use your Facebook account.

I bookmark some sites on the computer, but if I only want to go back and check them out later I just add them to mail to myself. When I find a site on the computer that I want to go back and look at, I open a compose mail and paste the URL to the body of the letter.

I used to have a habit of reading through a collection of helpful tips or frugal living ideas and thinking, "I'll have to remember that". Then, that suggestion, tip, or idea would simply get lost in mental clutter.

When reading the card file methods for keeping track of tips found on the Internet, I had to offer two other resources. Both of these allow you to store the tips ON your computer for easy access, and neither takes up any space on your hard drive.

Index Cards For Thrifty Tips. I subscribe to various sites and all these sites have so many great ideas. I like to keep them all on hand, so I was printing them all out and keeping them in my file cabinet.

Now, my file cabinet is getting full and my printer is out of ink.

To save memory space on my computer, I came up with this idea. I took a recipe box with the index tabs A to Z and index cards and turned it into a web site and e-mail buddy address box.

For places to leave tips like this: Send yourself an email, subject matter of "Tips to Use". Keep a running list by forwarding it to yourself. Remember to delete the "forward" in the message.

I usually think of good ideas for tips to post on ThriftyFun when I'm in the middle of doing something and will most times forget the idea later. So whenever I think of a tip to post here on ThriftyFun, I have a folder in my computer where I can save my ideas.

I find it easy to create files for areas I'm interested in under the "Bookmark" area. For example, Crocheting, Knitting, Cleaning, Stores, etc.

Then when I come across a page or note I'd like to keep, I simply bookmark this page and save it under its proper file folder.

Readers share so many useful tips but often I don't need to save the entire article. Finding these tips when I need them is essential. I solved this by buying a small 4x5 spiral notebook with the rip out pages. When tips comes along that I want to keep, I write them in the notebook. I keep the notebook right by my computer for easy access. It's a handy little reference book and doesn't take up much space! If I decide later to keep the tip in another room, I can easily rip out the small page. Now, all the tips are together!

By Lady Claire from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

Organizing Useful Tips

I save the tips, recipes, etc. that I want to keep into a folder on my computer. Later, I download them onto a disc that I can use at a later time. (04/07/2006)

By Candy

Organizing Useful Tips

I forward the tips to myself, delete everything I don't want, forward it, and then put it in a thrifty tips file on my computer. In the subject line I put a word or two to let me know what's in that one. (04/07/2006)

By

Organizing Useful Tips

I keep all of my saved tips in a computer document file. I can easily look it up and generally do not print them, as they are almost all just one sentence tips. I put the subject at the beginning of the sentence, such as "Peeling Boiled Eggs " and underline it for quick reference. Keep all of these great tips coming, I have no end to my document which is 20 pages long so far! (04/07/2006)

By Joyce Murphy

Organizing Useful Tips

Hi Lady Claire and other members,

I just 'copy' any tips onto a blank email and then send it to myself. From there, I have a folder in my Outlook Express called 'Tips' and file them in that folder. I also do this for all my emails from friends so that I don't forget things I've already asked or told them.

I also use this 'filing' method for any emails between myself with suppliers, etc. and it's been great when I've had problems with them later on, etc.

I can label everything in the folders and can always find everything I want quickly. It's also great for passwords, etc. for any web groups I belong to.
(04/07/2006)

By Wendy M. from Australia

Organizing Useful Tips

I save articles directly from magazines, either tearing out the pages or copying the article at a local discount copy center. Then I assemble the the articles in a looseleaf notebook, either with hole punches or by sliding the article into a slash pocket. Then I can discard the rest of the magazine. (06/21/2006)

By c. nelson

Organizing Useful Tips

Go to www.azzcardfile.com. It is a free down load. A computer crafting group I belong to have used this for years. I use it for recipes, tips, all kinds of things.
(07/29/2008)

By Barb

Organizing MiscellaneousJune 1, 2012
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Organizing-Useful-Tips-from-Websites.html