Pancake Tips and Tricks

Category Breakfast
Making the perfect pancakes for your breakfast can be a hit with the whole family. This guide contains pancakes tips and tricks.

Use an empty squeeze bottle like a ketchup or syrup bottle. Mix your pancake batter according to your box instructions. Add it to your squeeze bottle with a funnel. Then put it into the fridge the night before, and have pancakes for breakfast. No rush or mess!

By coville123 from Brockville

For a lighter, fluffier pancakes, substitute carbonated water for the water called for in mix.

By mamacrafter from TN

My grandson in particular, and sometimes his younger sister, likes to help cook. Sometimes adults have a sense of trepidation about allowing kids in the kitchen. They will invariably make a mess when they measure, flip, or stir. But if you can get past that part, cooking with children is a fun and creative experience.

The main chef, who is 11, is a great fan of the cooking shows: Chopped, Cupcake Wars, and the Cake Boss (he even has an autographed photo).

When he was visiting a couple of weekends ago he decided to make pumpkin colored and shaped pancakes, but did not want them to actually have pumpkin in them, not one of his favorites.

I have included a few photos of the pancake adventure and some other photos of earlier meals he helped prepare. Note: the pink eggs were for his sister.

The birthday cake marks one of his earliest attempts at cake decorating with fondant. Leaving the drape was his idea.

Total Time: 25-30 minutes

Yield: approximately 12 pancakes

• 2 cups packaged pancake mix
  • 1.5 cup skim milk
  • 2 eggs
  • red and yellow food coloring

1. Prepare pancake batter according to directions.
  2. Ad

3. We added one drop of red food coloring and two of yellow and mixed into the batter.
  4. The color was too light and we added a similar amount of each again, until we got the deep orange he wanted.
  5. Ad

6. We then created several pumpkin pancake shapes and cooked until done.
  7. The final results prior to serving with syrup.
  8. Ad

9. Not really a step but an intro to other kitchen cooking adventures. Have fun cooking with your children.

When making pancakes with any recipe, try adding a little extra kick. Take one regular pancake mixture and add cinnamon, and a little nutmeg to taste. Then add just a little champagne. This makes them nice and fluffy as well as very tasty. On top we add the fruit of the season. Makes a great family treat or a special breakfast for your sweetie.

By Lifewithmadman from Little Rock, AR

I keep a butter container full of flour. Occasionally I have mixed it with cake or cookie mix when it was low because I didn't have any flour. It is kind of hard to turn the pancakes when it is cookie mix that is more than half the batter for the pancakes.

A simple, but delightful snack good for a holiday party is pancakes. Yes, pancakes, but made over. These can be made with leftover pancakes as well.

No matter what I do, my pancakes always come out flat! I have used mixes, extra baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Does anyone know what I can do to make pancakes look the way they do on the boxes? Thanks.

nolasandy from Kenner, LA

Answers

Since you mention using various mixes and still having the problem, I suspect overmixing to be the problem.
Batter should be slightly lumpy...

Tips and recipes for making good pancakes. Post your ideas.

Answers

When making pancakes, use a meat baster to squeeze the batter onto the griddle.

By Bobbie

Do not beat the pancake batter (will make them tough), make sure the griddle is lightly greased and hot and turn only once when golden brown--do not mash the pancake down after turning and your pancakes will be perfect.

What I do ot make great tasting pancakes, is that I add some vanilla to my batter, this gives it a great taste.

Teresa from Va.

You may substitute club soda for water or milk for fluffy pancakes.....adding cinnamon and vanilla tastes great!

Stir a tbsp. of maple syrup into the pancake batter to boost flavor.

By suebowman

I suggest making the batter from scratch. Fannie Farmer has a good recipe titled Griddlecakes. Why buy a mix when the recipe is so easy, better and less expensive.
Sheridan from Maine

Want your griddle cakes to taste like the ones in the restaurant from a mix? Try adding the following:
-a scant handful of corn meal (the finely ground kind)
-a tsp. of pure vanilla extract
-one more egg than the mix calls for
-an extra Tbs. of oil/ butter/ shortening
-half and half instead of water or milk

Then beat all the liquids in a separate bowl, and add to dry ingredients that have been twice sifted. Stir only enough to moisten. Allow batter to rest 5- 10 minutes before using. Grease (or "season") your griddle only for the first batch (make sure your turner has a sharp edge). Finally, use an ice cream scoop (the kind that has a lever to scrape out the contents) to pour the batter onto the griddle for uniformity. Voila, restaurant style griddle cakes. (I worked food industry for years, and this is how they're made)

You can use a plastic bag with a hole in the corner to make pancake shapes

the easiest was to make pancakes is:
100g of plain flour
250ml of milk
1 egg

Put the ingredients into a blender; put the egg in first, then half the milk, now all the flour and then the rest of the milk.

Heat the pan up and pour some oil into it and then pour it out again. pour some of the mixture into the pan and swish it around. then, you would cook the pancake until itis brown and then flip it over.

HATTYXXX
WHAT ARE THE CONVERSIONS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE IN THE UNITED STATES?

Editor's Note: Here are some conversion tables:

http://www.thri  9347578.tip.html

Thanks for the tips everyone !!

How do you brown your pancakes? I cook mine in a nonstick Farberware skillet with one tablespoon of vegetable oil but I can't seem to get it to brown on both sides. Maybe my skillet is the problem because it is old and worn. Please share your advice.

Onesummer

Answers

I cook mine in a cast iron skillet. We bought it at Family Dollar (store) for $5.99, seasoned it well, and now everything we cook on it comes out evenly browned and cooked. Wonderful!
Misty

I was raised in the South, and my mom always used to put a slice of butter into the pan before pouring in the batter. This is the best thing in the entire world. The pancakes get a crunchy, buttery edge to them that is just the best. The Best!!!

your pan must be hot, before you put the batter in i always put a small one in first to get the pan just right. also 2 tablespoons of good oil helps they will get nice and brown. hope this works no need for a new pan......

A bit of butter in your skillet with the oil will be the secret. A bit of butter with oil will aid in browning most anything...such as hash browns, salmon patties, oinions etc. It only takes a bit, so you can balance it out with a healthier oil.

Tips for making great pancakes. Post your ideas.

Answers

Use a meat baster to "squirt" pancake batter onto the griddle. Saves mess!

By Robin

What a marvellous idea! I hate cleaning up all those little trails and dribbles of batter between the bowl and the griddle. Thanks for sharing!

for my children and now my grandson--I "write" their initial first, let it brown, then cover with pancake batter, much like a regular pancake. When you turn it over, their intitial is a little darker. This treat makes them feel very special. Great for learning their alphabet too

Use a meat baster (like a turkey baster) to squeeze pancake batter onto the hot griddle. You will get nice round pancakes.