Pistachio Lemon Rainbow Trout
Trouts are an excellent source of protein and omega 3s, and usually much cheaper than their other fish counterparts. When choosing trout, look for shiny scales, and meat that is firm to the touch. Pan-frying this fish makes for easy bone and skin removal (but some of us enjoy the crunchy skin). It's nicely paired with a bright and zesty sauce that does not have added oils or butters, as it's rather rich on its own. This takes around 15 minutes to throw together, so it's great for busier days.
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 rainbow trout, gutted
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup parsley, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp pistachios
- 2 tsp grated Parmesan
- juice and zest of half a lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the head of the trout just behind the front fin. Remove the tail. Butterfly open.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan over high heat. Sprinkle trout with salt and pepper then place skin side down and cook for 3-4 minutes, until skin is crispy.
- Flip over and cook the flesh side for just a couple minutes, then transfer to plates. Puree the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and pour over fish. Goes great with rice and vegetables.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!