Planting Tomatoes With Egg Shells

I lost the information on saving egg shells and planting them with tomato plants. How do I do it, etc.?

By Allene

Best Answer

Putting a handful of egg shells in the hole with a tomato plant really does help with blossom rot. I save all of my egg shells.

After cracking the eggs, I put the shells in a bowl of water and use my finger to gently wash the membrane out. Then I drain them and place them on something to dry. It takes a day or so unless I place them near heat.

When they are dry, I crush them with my hands and store in a gallon zip lock bag. When the bag gets full, I put it on the shelf in my storage closet. So far, I have saved 1 1/2 gallons of egg shells to put in the holes with tomato and pepper plants this spring. By then I should have a good amount saved up.

Egg shells give the plant calcium and it's also a great way to recycle egg shells.

Mine are already planted, will it do any good to scatter shells on the ground around my tomatoes?