Save Eggshells for Planting Tomatoes

To prevent blossom rot, I put a handful of egg shells in the hole with the tomato plant when setting them. This gives the tomatoes calcium and it works.

For 2 dozen tomato plants, I use 2 gallons of crushed egg shells. It takes me a year to save up that many.

Whenever I use eggs, I rinse the sticky stuff out of the shells and set them on a paper towel to drain. After they dry, they are ready to crush and add to the bag. I usually let them build up in the bag and then put them in a bowl and crush with my hands and fingers. (This also buffs my rough skin and makes it smooth.) I store the bag in the pantry until spring planting time.

If you want to try this, you need to start saving your egg shells.

I lost the information on saving egg shells and planting them with tomato plants. How do I do it, etc.?

By Allene

Answers

Best Answer

Putting a handful of egg shells in the hole with a tomato plant really does help with blossom rot. I save all of my egg shells.

After cracking the eggs, I put the shells in a bowl of water and use my finger to gently wash the membrane out. Then I drain them and place them on something to dry. It takes a day or so unless I place them near heat.

When they are dry, I crush them with my hands and store in a gallon zip lock bag. When the bag gets full, I put it on the shelf in my storage closet. So far, I have saved 1 1/2 gallons of egg shells to put in the holes with tomato and pepper plants this spring. By then I should have a good amount saved up.

Egg shells give the plant calcium and it's also a great way to recycle egg shells.

Answer this Question
In These Pages
Home and Garden Gardening FertilizerMarch 16, 2017
🐰
🌻
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Save-Eggshells-for-Planting-Tomatoes-1.html