Prevent Noseeums by Keeping House Cool

By Guest (Guest Post)

I live in south Florida and recently moved out of a beach front condo into a house inland. The noseeums in my new area have been merciless. The entire town is infested with them. It rains frequently in southern Florida during spring, summer, and fall months and the humidity is high. This, along with the many canals and lakes, creates a perfect environment for noseeums. After trying just about everything in these forums to battle these unseen critters biting me in my home, I finally got some good advice from a friend.

Before I share that, let me explain what didn't work. Deet or any other repellents do not work on these critters. Insecticide sprays are of little effect. Dryer sheets help a little but are still not effective repellents. Fogging doesn't work because they are flying insects that easily come through screens and under doors or cracks in windows so the house gets re-infested in no time. Tenting is the same. Exterminators told me they cannot treat against flying insects. Lawn service doesn't help again because they are flying insects. Zappers don't work as I bought many of them for inside the house. Glue pads work to trap some of them but also do not work to clear them from the house. Soap and apple cider vinegar also traps a few of them but does not get them out of the house. Steaming them is futile like a few UN workers trying to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq; they just move back in as soon as an area is treated. Borax may have limited effect but makes a big mess out of your house and electronics.

I have tried all of the above treatments without any relief. Forget all of them because none of them work and they will cost you a ton of money, grief, and disappointment.

Yesterday, a friend mentioned one thing I have not yet tried and is, by far, the easiest and cheapest method. This worked immediately and the following day; the time of this writing. I wanted to share this with as many people as I can to help prevent others the torture I have gone through since buying this house.

Turn the air conditioning down in your house to 62 degrees. Turn off any humidifiers or make sure humidistats are below 40%. If your air conditioning system can't achieve this low temperature then rent or buy some supplemental units or replace the system with a new one. If you go for a new unit, make sure your A/C company knows you want the temperature that low. If they say it can't be done, get someone else because they don't know what they are talking about. I'm an engineer by trade and know there are many efficient systems with tiered cooling capacities and even multi-level fans. These are great if you like to entertain a lot of people in your home like I do. It will be cheaper replace your entire system in the long run than going through many of the processes above including tenting a house.

I turned my thermostat down to 62 degrees yesterday around 3 PM and went out shopping and to dinner. I returned around 10 PM and the house was just reaching 63 degrees. I turned the thermostat back up to normal around 8 AM. For the first time in months, I slept without one noseeum joining me in bed and biting me all night. I did have to drag out several blankets and a comforter to sleep in these chilly conditions. It is still upwards of 90 degrees in Florida and this is a drastic drop in temperature. It is now around 24 hours later and the house is still noseeum free. I can't wait to thank this friend of mine. I plan on freezing out the house again tonight for good measure.

Female noseeums bite and then lay eggs. These may hatch several days to a week later so I will be sure to repeat this step several times. The higher air conditioning cost will be well worth the money. I only wish I had discovered this before spending a fortune on other useless methods and contaminating my living space and skin with pesticides and chemicals.

I hope this method helps others like it has me. It is so nice to sit in my house without being bitten for the first time in months.

I'm wondering what this will do to your electric bill?

I live beside a lake in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. During the scourge of noseeums, I have a kitchen cathedral ceiling that is black with those nasty critters. However, I have no air conditioning. Will try shutting the furnace off overnight to find out whether that helps. Thanks.

Anonymous

I've had a relatively comfortable winter however my noseeums are back. It's been quite warm down here most of the winter.

I have to mention that I did go to a dermatologist who prescribed a cortisone skin cream called Tramcinolone Acetonide Cream USP. This helped my skin heal which assisted in warding off the critters. I suffer from allergies and discovered for asthma and allergy sufferers can get compromised skin causing the critters easy bite access.

Also the a/c helps temporarily but does not stop the critters from coming back into the house. I'm to the belief that when they bite they lay eggs under your skin. I may try to check with an entomologist on this. Since most of the bites are on the foot area I think soaking in very warm water and Epsom salt may help kill any eggs under your skin.

I'm going to try the sandalwood trick. I'm seriously considering selling the house and moving back into a beach condo. I hear Eva Gabor singing the Green Acres song...,"New York is where I'd rather stay."

Irrespective of what you heard, you can get rid of the things. We had a huge problem and were going to move, but finally hit on a solution. We been bug free for over a year now.

Hi! I had just moved to a quite place which I adore small lakes at the back. From the first day I moved d here on Dec. I have tried not leaving my apartment building because everytime I walk out to my car and back upstairs I get about 15 bites on my arms, legs, face or maybe even on my head! I am having the worst anxiety attacts because of these bites daily (I go to work).

I have tried everything! Running my A/C low may help but what about when I walk outside? I'm the only one, the only person that gets bit by these! Even the maintenance man laughs at me! He says you are the only one getting bit around here. What else can I do? I can't move again! I'm feeling trapped in my home and I don't like inhaling all these bug spray inside my house. I'm gonna go crazy! Here's some of my photo from last night. These pics are just from coming out of my car to upstairs. Imagine if I were to sit outside for 5 mins?

I also had a Bad experience with the noseeums. I tried most everything til
one night when they were biting me so bad I couldn't sleep so I rummaged through my medicine closet and found denture cleaner. I put 36 Tablets plus a 1 or 2 cups of concentrate lemon juice in pretty warm bath water (about 12" tall) and it completely stopped the itching, it seems they like it when you sweat.I also used a quart bottle filled with water and added whole bottle of tea tree oil.

I used that to spray throughout the house.
You may also add other essential oils such as patchouli, citronella, & lemon balm.
You can also use a homemade spray for outside by combining 1 Large bottle of blue mouthwash, 3 cups Epsom salt & 1
cup Dawn dishwashing liquid. Just spray outside before you go out and it helps to keep them away as long as the wind doesn't blow away the spray.

Thank you for posting these pictures. They look exactly like the welts I have all over my body as well and yes, they get me under my clothes and underware as well. They eat me alive while I watch tv, sleep, just sitting around inside. Keeping a very clean house makes no difference either. I have still not found a solution, but the cold winter was just lovely as I didn't have any issues till the weather went into the 60's last week and we had one small rainfall and now they are attacking relentlessly. I never had this problem till 2009 and I live in the exact same house since 2004. And you are right, they make you anxious and make you feel crazy, cause no one else is being bitten but you.

:O Ahhhhhhhhhh I wonder about the comment that mentioned orange oil. It made me think that when I moved here I used an orange oil wood polish on my furniture weekly and didn't have any bites, but the smell was so strong when my grandson came to stay with me I stopped using the wood polish cause it smelled so toxic for a toddler and lasted days. That is the same year I started getting these weird bites and welts all over my body. Hmmmmmm. I think I will give the orange oil a try, my grandson is bigger now and doesn't live here anymore anyway. Good luck to everyone who is being eaten. If I find something that works, I shall return to share with you. :)

Just to add another photo of he other side of my shoulder, and yes, I have bites on my bumbum checks too... but I will not post that.

Thank you so much for sharing. My A/C only goes down to 65 degrees. Will this process stI'll work for the Noseeums?

I am in San Antonio,TX and have NEVER heard of this bug, pest insect until a fee days ago. My 21 year old daughter told me about them when I was explaining to her what was happening ONLY to me and Noone else in my house (insane).

Yes.

I was very excited when I read your post and followed your directions. It did not kill the Noseems. In fact, when Winter came (and I live up North) I intentionally kept my house as cold as I could with the hope that the cold would kill them. I did not get one bite all winter long. Once Spring came, however and there were warmer days, they started biting me again. It has now been a year since they infested my home due to me bringing a houseplant with a saucer full of water inside from being outside. I have tried all the remedies you suggested to no avail. I am SO DESPERATE. I drench myself with citronella every day. Someone suggested ingesting Brewer's Yeast so I would not taste good to the Noseeums. NOTHING WORKS! They only bite me -- nobody else in my family gets bitten. We do not have pets. I do not have any houseplants and no leaky pipes or water sources where they could be living. You cannot see them; therefore, you could never find a nest. I have scoured the Internet to find someone who had an effective way to get rid of them and I cannot find anything that works. Signed Desperate 6/14/16

We are also in S. Florida. Our no-seeums are outside around our porch, carport, and in our yard. Any suggestions for treating an outdoor area?

Thank u,I just moved to here to Florida and I've been getting non stop bites I was wondering what was biting me,so then I heard of the no see bug looked it up and realized that's the problem,its so bad these bites just end up on me out of no where,I had even stop going outside cause I thought it was mosquitoes until I started getting bite in the house,so thank u I'm turning my air down as I'm writing.

In Indy we get chiggers if we go thru talk grass. Same itch. Old prevention was to disturb with sulfer powder before fishing. It works. Never got a bite after.

I thought you said this wasn't an expensive method to keep noseeums at bay. I can't afford to run my AC at 62 degrees all the time. Plus I would be freezing and me and my Chihuahua would have to wear our parkas indoors if I kept it that cold. Are you by chance the owner of an AC company? I don't know many people who are gonna try replacing their whole AC system to see if this method will work unless they are Rich.

This works for old people that stay in the house all day. Not a good solution!

Our apartment became invested with "no-see-ums"...could even sleep without being wakened with bites. They even were in our clothes. It was horrible because nothing seemed to work. Finally after experimenting with pesticides coupled with changing in living habits, we got rid of them completely. We been bug free for about a year now. So no matter what you read, you can get rid of them

We were able to get rid of the bugs using a combination of pesticides coupled with life-style changes (the way we washed clothes). But it wasn't easy... took about 6 weeks and a whole lot of work

My dad is suffering from these and it's driving him mad so is it right the house needs to be freezing to get rid of them

Prevention should be the first step before you cause drawing no-see-ums, bees, flies, etc. to share you and your drinks.

Sprays and stuff work some what, however most bugs are attracted to open drink containers then to your body.

Odor and smells seems to be the attraction for bothersome bugs, so by having any drink container completely covered helps by not advertising it. Ever run from a Bee or Wasp?

A solid lid is a great way to reduce attracting things, no straws, no sippy lids. One that I found is made in the USA at Pittsburgh Pa works great, just Google drink container protector and youll find a bunch.

I even use one at work to keep other peoples germs from my coffee mug. The web site is
www.bugnot.us

I am an A/C contractor ( residential and commercial/industrial ) with over thirty years experience. I think your recommendation to take a house to 62 degrees is baloney. The electric bill and overuse (to an early failure of the air conditioner) to achieve such a temp drop on anything over a 72 degree F outdoor temp day is pure idiocy.

Anonymous

After hurricane Irma, they are back with a vengeance! Thanks for the tip which I had read over a year ago and forgot about turning down the AC to 62 degrees. I just turned it down to 69 and will continue if there is no relief. Having a ceiling fan on and one sitting at the sofa help but they still manage a bite or two on the face or wherever they can have a quick bite. They are merciless! Thanks again.

My husband and I live and travel full time in our Motorcoach and winter in FL. No-see-ums are horrid in inland Florida!!
Our current location in Bradenton has mangrove trees at a waterway next to the RV resort, a favorite habit for the nasty creatures.

Ive found, after many, many potions, oils, Skin So Soft, ect., that cedar spray works fantastic!! I refuse to use any toxic or poisonous products and Cedar is nontoxic.

I bought two products, Cedarcide Tickshield Natural Extra Strength Insect Spray, which is 20% Cedar oil, and a large spray bottle of Cedarcide Original Natural Biting Insect Spray, which is 10% Cedar oil. We use the large bottle to spray around our coach and inside under the slide outs to keep bugs out. We were having a problem with stinkbugs getting into our motorhome, from somewhere. My husband discovered they may have been coming in under one of the slide outs. I decided to try the cedarcide and it worked like a charm. No more stink bugs from that day forward.

Both of those products provide excellent results! They are safe for people, for pets, for homes and for children. That was important to me as we have a puppy. They not only repel all the bugs but they also kill them, to include, no-see-ums, ticks, fleas, bed bugs, mosquitoes and more. Awesome products!

Super happy to be free of the intense, long-lasting ITCH of no-see-ums!!