OtherRecycling

Recycling a Printer

I have a printer than isn't working anymore, and was wondering where I could take it to be recycled. Hewlett-Packard won't buy it back or recycle it because it's too new. Thanks for your input on this subject!

By Schazi from Chicago, IL

I would list it on either your local freecycle or craigslist.

Contact your county Solid Waste Department and they can answer your question for recycling it. We have drop off places in our county for recycling electronics.

I can't figure out why HP can't fix it if it is so new according to them-has that model been discontinued? If it has, the next question is why did HP discontinue such a recent model-if there were customer issues prompting them to revamp the model, you may be entitled to something and the customer service rep you spoke with doesn't want to share that info with you.

I would get back in touch with HP and get a much more detailed explanation of why they won't help you with such a new model that has ceased functioning. Try to get that explanation in writing, I think a customer service rep is taking a bit more initiative than HP Customer Relations chiefs would approve.

Contact your local disposal (trash) service. They can tell you where to take your electronic waste or e-waste as most cities refer to it.

E-waste is anything you don't want working or not but it must have a cord attached to it. Example computer, lamp, coffee maker, printer...you get the picture.

Also schools, churches and any organization that needs to raise money will have an e-waste drop off. Look for signs. I save all my e-waste and the first sign I see, I will give them all my e-waste.

You could also check with your local high schools, or vo-tech schools if you have any.

If they have any type of computer or electronics repair classes, they may love to have it to work on, or get it running to use at school.