Reducing Scar Discoloration

Although you probably can't eliminate a scar inexpensively, you may be able to lighten the scar's discoloration. This is a guide about reducing scar discoloration.

I had a really bad dark, ugly scar after a C-section. Over the counter remedies didn't work. Then an old past beauty queen told me about vinegar.

Take a piece of cotton and put vinegar on it. Rub the cotton on the age spots and scars. For a really dark spot, tape the cotton over the spot with a medical tape and keep it on overnight. I didn't think this would work, but it did. The scar faded and so did the age spots. A bottle of vinegar is usually in your cabinet, and it's a cheap way of fading scars and spot.

By Kathy B. from Jefferson, LA

Regarding scars on the leg; the make-up idea is fine but I found something else wonderful to use. I have a very deep scar from leg surgery. My sister, a podiatrist recommended a product called "Scar Guard." I have been using it for 3 weeks and the results are amazing. It has actually lessened the scar and filled in some of the damage. In addition, she recommended bandages containing silicone. They work wonderfully in helping to reduce scars.

Source: Drug Stores carry the product and it is also available on line.

By Rnochimson from Woodland Park, NN

Did you know that honey can prevent scar appearance, and it also lightens your scar. I always did this for my family. If you have a healing wounds, you can put a honey on top of it or overlap it with honey. It is much better if you do it overnight. It really works. You can apply it also to your kids and it's safe. But you have to be sure that the wound is healed before you apply to it.

How can I cover scars, just for one night?

Erica

Answers

Where is the scar located? How visiable of a scar is it?

I would try a thick layer of foundation make-up, well blended in around the edges, and then press powder on top. The foundation and powder will have to match the surrounding skin really, really well. You may have to blend two shades together to get a better match. If you are dancing you need to take the make-up with you for touch ups.

If the scar is on your arms or legs, maybe a fun henna tattoo would work. If the scar is on your face, consider one of those paste on bendi dots, or a small temporary tatoo. In the right spot this would work. Good luck, have some fun with it, and don't be afraid to be different.
Londa

Temporary tattoos!

Dermablend will cover scars and birthmarks. You can get it in a department store.

I would just go naked, first time every time. This night might turn into something, so do you want to be doping up a scar forever?

There is a product called Dermablend that is available at the cosmetic counter of major department stores. It is specifically designed to cover scars and other marks on the skin. If you match your color carefully it should work. It is fairly expensive, but far cheaper than medical procedures.

Use a Covermark it really works to cover even tattos or scars and dark spots,or else as I use this time to cover my dark spots, scars, I use Revlon Colorstay. Its in the 30ml bottle which is you can choose light to darker skin and you can find it in any beauty shop. It's the best I ever used to cover up my scars on legs.

How can I remove a burn scar on my forehead? Every time I use the iron to flatten my bangs, without paying attention I burn my forehead. If somebody knows some tips please let me know.
Thanks.

By Malika from CO

Answers

You are going to have to be more careful.

There's a drugstore product called Mederma that's supposed to help eliminate scars. My mom always applied vitamin E oil. In the meantime, be very cautious when using your flat iron. Use a lower setting so it's not as hot.

I suspect you have more of a callous or discoloration, because if you'd burned yourself so badly as to create a scar, I think you would never be careless again with the flat iron! Go into your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist (not one of the assistants, ask to speak to the pharmacist) what would be a good product to use to even the skin back out on your forehead. They're not cheap, but there are a bunch of them that ought to work. Then, the key is to use them diligently, you can't be careless and forgetful and skip days.

And from now on, hold your comb against your forehead as you iron your bangs, so you can't burn yourself!

A product called bio-oil. Works great.

I have a facial scar from a serious car accident 30+ years ago. At the time the gash on my cheek was simply closed with stitches. There was no follow up or recommendations for treating the scar to lessen it. All these years it has bothered me. Any ideas for making the scar less noticeable? Or is it way too late for that? I cannot afford cosmetic surgery. Thanks for any help you can give.

By Carly K

Answers

Bio Oil will lessen the look of the scar with regular use. You can also get coverup made especially for scars.

You can get a paramedical cosmetic tattoo. See if anyone in your area does cosmetic tattooing--they use pigments instead of dyes and it is injected into a different layer of the skin. It must be redone about every 6 years, but it will cover the white scar tissue to match your face color. This is often used to cover scars from major accidents, facial surgeries, cleft lip, etc. You can also call the office in your state that licenses tattoo artists in your state to find the closest one available in your area or do an internet search. They will give you info on who to contact for all the ins and outs. Good luck.

Well, you can purchase "Scar Zone" ointment cream from the pharmacy, comes in a tube. It helps fade and soften scar tissue if used on a regular basis for a few weeks. This might help over time lessen the noticeablity of the scar. Then apply a wee bit of facial foundation to match your skin tone if necessary. Let me know if this helps.

When I was younger I used to get bug bites really bad. I would scratch them and now I am left with the scars from it all over my legs. If I exfoliated every day for a few months, would my scars go away? If not, are there any ways that will make them go away ASAP?

By Hannahh from HI

Answers

Hannah,

Rest easy, the scars will likely fade over time. I used to have mosquito bite scars all over and they are gone now! Don't exfoliate daily, that will do more harm than good. 2 or 3 times a week is ideal. Also, switch between manual exfoliation (scrubs) and chemical exfoliation (salicylic acid, etc) for best results. A dermatologist can be extremely helpful as well. But here are some other tips: lavender essential oil is said to reduce scarring as is rose hip oil. Also, try to keep the skin well moisturized to help it heal, aloe vera gel and coconut oil are wonderful for this. If all else fails, they will fade on their own, just give them time to heal and regenerate! Best of luck!

When I was little my grandparents always made me put tooth paste on my bug bites. Then i would put a band aid over it. What this does is dries the bug bite. From what I remember it works really well!

I have a rash on my face. The doctor prescribed an antifungal cream and medications. The itchy nature of my skin has disappeared, but a patch is visible on my face. How long will it take to get rid of the scar like nature? Please let me know.

Answers

Your doctor should be able to tell you or can refer you to a dermatologist for answers.

I am 20 years old. I have had a scar on my leg for about 9 years now. Because of the scar I do not wear short dresses and am tired of wearing long things to cover this scar. Sometimes I do feel pains too. What should I do now?

By Daila

I have the scar on my face, but it is smooth and makes a black line. I am embarrassed by this. I have had it for 10 years. I also have a scar on my legs. How do I remove them all?

By EiMon

Answers

You can't remove a scar without cosmetic surgery. Try to find some good sealer instead...way cheaper.

Now that I am older, whenever I get bitten by an insect, or scraped, or cut, the scars that are left behind are kind of a purple color. I would like to know if there is anything that can reduce the discoloration. Thanks.

By Nancy

Answers

There are scar-removing ointments on sale at the drug store today - one is merderma & I have tried a generic scar cream I bought at the dollar tree. Try them to bleach out your scar....

I have a dull completion. A few days back an insect bit me on my nose and I scratched it. Now I have a black mark because of it. I want clearer skin. How to remove it?

By Labdhi

Answers

You could try to dot on hydrogen peroxide, or even lemon juice to the spot every other day, and let it dry. I don't know what other type of problem you are having that makes your complexion 'dull', but exfoliating by several at-home methods can help with that. You can try moistening household baking soda or even sugar, and using as a scrub to help. Rinse it off well, pat dry, and apply a mild moisturizer daily to help with dull skin.
Best of luck to you!

I have an old surgery scar on my mouth and I want something to help remove the scar.

Kholiwe

Answers:

Removing a Facial Scar

I wish I could remember where the article was, but just a few days ago, I read something that said forget the expensive creams, just use a dab of plain old Vaseline on it every day and it works just as well!

(01/26/2009)

By Mary T

Removing a Facial Scar

I heard if you use liquid vitamin E on the scar every day, it will fade. Simply use capsules with vitamin E, prick a hole with a needle and squeeze out the oil.

I'd also like to add that a scar is nothing to be ashamed of, it gives your face character! Good luck! (01/27/2009)

By haushinka

How do you get scars to fade fast? I am getting married in August.

Wendy

Answers:

Scar Remedies

They say cocoa butter does wonders. That's what they recommend pregnant woman to use. Worth a try. (12/14/2006)

By MKeller45827

Scar Remedies

I have always heard that vitamin E oil will do the trick. I'm told you can use the soft capsules of vitamin E. Just prick one of the capsules with a sterilized needle and gently squeeze to apply drop(s) of oil on the scar and rub it in. You can get many drops of oil from each capsule. Very inexpensive!
Good luck.

Donna (12/16/2006)

By carnall

Scar Remedies

I have a chicken pox scar on my nose. I've been living with it for 20 years now. Every couple weeks I do a mud face mask and that helps to smooth my complexion and make the scar less noticeable. I just use the mud mask from the drugstore that come in little squeeze packs. (12/16/2006)

By thriftyboo

Scar Remedies

Scar Therapy works well. My daughter use to get mosquito bites on her face and then pick at them until they scarred over. It took a couple of months, but the Scar Therapy worked. The second time, I bought the Walmart brand. It was much cheaper and worked just as well. (12/18/2006)

By nancyec

Scar Remedies

I used Scar Zone. Available at Target and Wal-Mart and probably a few other places, too. It worked wonders for me. About $10 per tube. (12/18/2006)

By cookwie

Scar Remedies

A really quick, yet effective way to make scars less noticeable is a dermabrasion treatment. I had some pretty ugly acne scars and this is truly the only thing that worked for me. A chemical peel works just as well for minor scarring. Try either one and you will absolutely love the results.
Just Google, "dermabrasion" or "chemical peel" for more details on the treatments. They come in many different forms, but I do recommend having it done by a professional.
Good luck and condolences, I mean, congratulations on getting married. (12/30/2006)

By Shari in MI

Scar Remedies

Try Mederma an over the counter cream. It is fantastic! (01/14/2007)

By eyelovecats

Scar Remedies

Try Loadza concealer. (02/03/2007)

By Suzanne

How do I get rid of scars on my legs from flea and mosquito bites?

By gobertgirl from Eunice, LA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Insect Bite Scars

Buy vitamin E gel capsules and poke one with a clean pin or needle. Squeese out amount needed onto the bites and leave on overnight. It may take a few days, but this should help your scars. (05/29/2009)

By Dibbs

Getting Rid of Insect Bite Scars

Try Mederma or cocoa butter. Palmer makes cocoa butter with vitamin E in it. (06/02/2009)

By cstrouse

Getting Rid of Insect Bite Scars

Vitamin E is a good idea, bit if that doesn't work you should try fade cream. It used Palmer's fade cream for the acne scars on my face and it worked really well. I got it from Wal-Mart, I don't remember the exact price but I know it was less than $10. Hope this helps. (06/02/2009)

By princess_kiki_84

Does any one know what I can do to minimize deep scars? It looks like I need a patch of skin placed in that spot. I need it to be smooth. It makes me sad. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Maryjane from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Minimizing Deep Scars

Mederma-skin care for scars. Made by "merz pharmaceuticals www.mederma.com

I used the on a bad scare on my face and it works but you have to use like the directions say. (10/18/2009)

By Pollywon

Minimizing Deep Scars

Apply vitamin E to the scar or wound at least once a day for a few weeks, or until the wound has healed. For scars, you may need to apply vitamin E oil for one to two months for best results. Good luck.
(10/18/2009)

By kffrmw88

Minimizing Deep Scars

A company called Derma E makes a scar gel which is great! I actually got a sample by writing the company as I just got surgery and am using it for my scar. It dries quickly as well and soaks in a lot better than vitamin E (which I also use).

Here are some reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=75229/Derma_E_Scar_Gel/Derma_E/Moisturizers

It's about $20 and a little goes a long way. They recommend using it for 8 weeks on a fresh scar and about 6 months on an older scar. Good luck!

Here is the company website: www.dermae.net

You can get a free sample package of their products for $4.95 shipping too.
(10/18/2009)

By freya1970

Minimizing Deep Scars

You probably notice it more than others do! Try the suggestions and forget about it! You are you, you are not a scar! (10/20/2009)

By catastrofy