Reducing Scar Discoloration

Although you probably can't eliminate a scar inexpensively, you may be able to lighten the scar's discoloration. This is a guide about reducing scar discoloration.

I had a really bad dark, ugly scar after a C-section. Over the counter remedies didn't work. Then an old past beauty queen told me about vinegar.

Take a piece of cotton and put vinegar on it. Rub the cotton on the age spots and scars. For a really dark spot, tape the cotton over the spot with a medical tape and keep it on overnight. I didn't think this would work, but it did. The scar faded and so did the age spots. A bottle of vinegar is usually in your cabinet, and it's a cheap way of fading scars and spot.

By Kathy Bourg from Jefferson, LA

This product "Hy-Tape" is a great alternative any time to Band-Aids when we get a cut that we need to protect so it can heal correctly and be aesthetically pleasing.

They use to think that allowing a cut to get "air" was best, but, over the years, the medical society, (NIH) etc. has learned that keeping a wound covered is best for the cells to regenerate and heal the wound with less scarring.

When we get a cut, our body goes to work to close that cut up as to keep out germs, which is what that's all about. But, the appearance isn't actually cared about (as far as the body goes) since the body only knows one thing, open door, must close it now!

Many times we're left with a scar, which is because the regenerating cells were exposed to air, which actually kills them, and then the wound will still close up and heal, but not necessarily in a pleasing way aesthetically.

A doctor years ago is the one who educated me on this product called HY-tape. It's flexible, easy to use as you cut it to any length you want, you can shower with it, sweat with it on, it stays put until you remove it. It's air and water impermeable.

The best part is, besides giving your skin every chance available to heal perfectly, the underside of this very soft flexible tape that touches the actual wound on the skin is a zinc oxide based tape which that helps promote healing, as our body loves zinc oxide as it's an aid in healing.

Band-Aids don't actually keep air out either, as they have that small pad that touches the skin, and air goes in and out all day long, which is not proactive in reducing any scar formation when it's healed.

This tape comes in many sizes, but for the last 15ish or so years, I've personally found that this size works best, as it can be cut to size with a pair of scissors, and if the cut is wider than 1/2 inch then you just cut more strips of the Hy-tape to cover it completely and overlap the strips.

It comes in rolls that are 1/2 inch by 5 yards, and sells for about $2.50 ish per roll. I've only found this product on the internet at places such as Allegro Medical. But, there are other medical supply stores that might have it too. Be careful though of knockoffs that are imitating this wonderful tape.
It's called the Original Pink Hy-Tape.

It's comfortable to wear anywhere on your body you might have an injury, and it heals the skin so incredibly well too.

I don't know about you, but my hands get so dry from washing them 1,000x a day, and on my knuckles (on the outside of my hand or top of it) I will sometimes like right now, get actual cracks where the skin will split 1/4 of an inch just because they're that bone dry!

Another great advantage to this tape is, because it's so soft and flexible, it doesn't matter if where you are applying it on the skin is flat or not, like a knuckle on the outside of your hand, a small "mountain" this tape will go up and over and around and about without hindering your movements.

There's much to read about zinc oxide (topically) and it's sort of funny reading medical studies (with rats) that are available, but plastic surgeons have been using this Hy-tape for quite a long time now because it works so well in reducing the chances of scarring after a cut or wound finally heals.

Link: Here's one link from NCBI, but there's tons of info on this on the internet.

I have a very deep scar from leg surgery. My sister, a podiatrist recommended a product called "Scar Guard." I have been using it for 3 weeks and the results are amazing.

Did you know that honey can prevent scar appearance, and it also lightens your scar. If you have a healing wounds, you can put a honey on top of it or overlap it with honey.

It is much better if you do it overnight. It really works.

How can I cover scars, just for one night?

Erica

Answers

Where is the scar located? How visiable of a scar is it?

By londa (Guest Post)

I would try a thick layer of foundation make-up, well blended in around the edges, and then press powder on top. The foundation and powder will have to match the surrounding skin really, really well. You may have to blend two shades together to get a better match. If you are dancing you need to take the make-up with you for touch ups.

If the scar is on your arms or legs, maybe a fun henna tattoo would work. If the scar is on your face, consider one of those paste on bendi dots, or a small temporary tatoo. In the right spot this would work. Good luck, have some fun with it, and don't be afraid to be different.
Londa

By Kate (Guest Post)

Temporary tattoos!

By Judy (Guest Post)

Dermablend will cover scars and birthmarks. You can get it in a department store.

I would just go naked, first time every time. This night might turn into something, so do you want to be doping up a scar forever?

By SusannL (Guest Post)

There is a product called Dermablend that is available at the cosmetic counter of major department stores. It is specifically designed to cover scars and other marks on the skin.

If you match your color carefully it should work. It is fairly expensive, but far cheaper than medical procedures.

Use a Covermark it really works to cover even tattos or scars and dark spots,or else as I use this time to cover my dark spots, scars, I use Revlon Colorstay. Its in the 30ml bottle which is you can choose light to darker skin and you can find it in any beauty shop. It's the best I ever used to cover up my scars on legs.

How can I remove a burn scar on my forehead? Every time I use the iron to flatten my bangs, without paying attention I burn my forehead. If somebody knows some tips please let me know.
Thanks.

By Malika from CO

Answers

You are going to have to be more careful.

There's a drugstore product called Mederma that's supposed to help eliminate scars. My mom always applied vitamin E oil. In the meantime, be very cautious when using your flat iron. Use a lower setting so it's not as hot.

I suspect you have more of a callous or discoloration, because if you'd burned yourself so badly as to create a scar, I think you would never be careless again with the flat iron! Go into your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist (not one of the assistants, ask to speak to the pharmacist) what would be a good product to use to even the skin back out on your forehead.

They're not cheap, but there are a bunch of them that ought to work. Then, the key is to use them diligently, you can't be careless and forgetful and skip days.

And from now on, hold your comb against your forehead as you iron your bangs, so you can't burn yourself!

A product called bio-oil. Works great.

I have a facial scar from a serious car accident 30+ years ago. At the time the gash on my cheek was simply closed with stitches. There was no follow up or recommendations for treating the scar to lessen it. All these years it has bothered me. Any ideas for making the scar less noticeable? Or is it way too late for that? I cannot afford cosmetic surgery. Thanks for any help you can give.

By Carly K

Answers

Bio Oil will lessen the look of the scar with regular use. You can also get coverup made especially for scars.

You can get a paramedical cosmetic tattoo. See if anyone in your area does cosmetic tattooing--they use pigments instead of dyes and it is injected into a different layer of the skin. It must be redone about every 6 years, but it will cover the white scar tissue to match your face color. This is often used to cover scars from major accidents, facial surgeries, cleft lip, etc. You can also call the office in your state that licenses tattoo artists in your state to find the closest one available in your area or do an internet search. They will give you info on who to contact for all the ins and outs. Good luck.

Well, you can purchase "Scar Zone" ointment cream from the pharmacy, comes in a tube. It helps fade and soften scar tissue if used on a regular basis for a few weeks. This might help over time lessen the noticeablity of the scar. Then apply a wee bit of facial foundation to match your skin tone if necessary. Let me know if this helps.

I have the scar on my face, but it is smooth and makes a black line. I am embarrassed by this. I have had it for 10 years. I also have a scar on my legs. How do I remove them all?

By EiMon

Answers

You can't remove a scar without cosmetic surgery. Try to find some good sealer instead...way cheaper.

When I was younger I used to get bug bites really bad. I would scratch them and now I am left with the scars from it all over my legs. If I exfoliated every day for a few months, would my scars go away? If not, are there any ways that will make them go away ASAP?

By Hannahh from HI

Answers

Hannah,

Rest easy, the scars will likely fade over time. I used to have mosquito bite scars all over and they are gone now! Don't exfoliate daily, that will do more harm than good. 2 or 3 times a week is ideal. Also, switch between manual exfoliation (scrubs) and chemical exfoliation (salicylic acid, etc) for best results. A dermatologist can be extremely helpful as well. But here are some other tips: lavender essential oil is said to reduce scarring as is rose hip oil. Also, try to keep the skin well moisturized to help it heal, aloe vera gel and coconut oil are wonderful for this. If all else fails, they will fade on their own, just give them time to heal and regenerate! Best of luck!

When I was little my grandparents always made me put tooth paste on my bug bites. Then i would put a band aid over it. What this does is dries the bug bite. From what I remember it works really well!

I have a rash on my face. The doctor prescribed an antifungal cream and medications. The itchy nature of my skin has disappeared, but a patch is visible on my face. How long will it take to get rid of the scar like nature? Please let me know.

I am 20 years old. I have had a scar on my leg for about 9 years now. Because of the scar I do not wear short dresses and am tired of wearing long things to cover this scar. Sometimes I do feel pains too. What should I do now?

By Daila

Now that I am older, whenever I get bitten by an insect, or scraped, or cut, the scars that are left behind are kind of a purple color. I would like to know if there is anything that can reduce the discoloration. Thanks.

By nancy

Answers

There are scar-removing ointments on sale at the drug store today - one is merderma & I have tried a generic scar cream I bought at the dollar tree. Try them to bleach out your scar....

I have a dull completion. A few days back an insect bit me on my nose and I scratched it. Now I have a black mark because of it. I want clearer skin. How to remove it?

By Labdhi

Answers

You could try to dot on hydrogen peroxide, or even lemon juice to the spot every other day, and let it dry. I don't know what other type of problem you are having that makes your complexion 'dull', but exfoliating by several at-home methods can help with that. You can try moistening household baking soda or even sugar, and using as a scrub to help. Rinse it off well, pat dry, and apply a mild moisturizer daily to help with dull skin.
Best of luck to you!

I have an old surgery scar on my mouth and I want something to help remove the scar.

Kholiwe

Answers:

Removing a Facial Scar

I wish I could remember where the article was, but just a few days ago, I read something that said forget the expensive creams, just use a dab of plain old Vaseline on it every day and it works just as well!

(01/26/2009)

By Mary

Removing a Facial Scar

I heard if you use liquid vitamin E on the scar every day, it will fade. Simply use capsules with vitamin E, prick a hole with a needle and squeeze out the oil.

I'd also like to add that a scar is nothing to be ashamed of, it gives your face character! Good luck! (01/27/2009)

By Anna H

How do you get scars to fade fast? I am getting married in August.

Wendy

Answers:

Scar Remedies

They say cocoa butter does wonders. That's what they recommend pregnant woman to use. Worth a try. (12/14/2006)

By Mary Keller

Scar Remedies

I have always heard that vitamin E oil will do the trick. I'm told you can use the soft capsules of vitamin E. Just prick one of the capsules with a sterilized needle and gently squeeze to apply drop(s) of oil on the scar and rub it in. You can get many drops of oil from each capsule. Very inexpensive!
Good luck.

Donna (12/16/2006)

By Donna Carnall

Scar Remedies

I have a chicken pox scar on my nose. I've been living with it for 20 years now. Every couple weeks I do a mud face mask and that helps to smooth my complexion and make the scar less noticeable. I just use the mud mask from the drugstore that come in little squeeze packs. (12/16/2006)

By samaree

Scar Remedies

Scar Therapy works well. My daughter use to get mosquito bites on her face and then pick at them until they scarred over. It took a couple of months, but the Scar Therapy worked. The second time, I bought the Walmart brand. It was much cheaper and worked just as well. (12/18/2006)

By Nancy

Scar Remedies

I used Scar Zone. Available at Target and Wal-Mart and probably a few other places, too. It worked wonders for me. About $10 per tube. (12/18/2006)

By Holly

Scar Remedies

A really quick, yet effective way to make scars less noticeable is a dermabrasion treatment. I had some pretty ugly acne scars and this is truly the only thing that worked for me. A chemical peel works just as well for minor scarring. Try either one and you will absolutely love the results.
Just Google, "dermabrasion" or "chemical peel" for more details on the treatments. They come in many different forms, but I do recommend having it done by a professional.
Good luck and condolences, I mean, congratulations on getting married. (12/30/2006)

By Shari in MI

Scar Remedies

Try Mederma an over the counter cream. It is fantastic! (01/14/2007)

By pam froelich

Scar Remedies

Try Loadza concealer. (02/03/2007)

By Suzanne

How do I get rid of scars on my legs from flea and mosquito bites?

By Megan from Eunice, LA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Insect Bite Scars

Buy vitamin E gel capsules and poke one with a clean pin or needle. Squeese out amount needed onto the bites and leave on overnight. It may take a few days, but this should help your scars. (05/29/2009)

By Cora

Getting Rid of Insect Bite Scars

Try Mederma or cocoa butter. Palmer makes cocoa butter with vitamin E in it. (06/02/2009)

By Cindy Strouse

Getting Rid of Insect Bite Scars

Vitamin E is a good idea, bit if that doesn't work you should try fade cream. It used Palmer's fade cream for the acne scars on my face and it worked really well. I got it from Wal-Mart, I don't remember the exact price but I know it was less than $10. Hope this helps. (06/02/2009)

By Kristina Gonzales

Does any one know what I can do to minimize deep scars? It looks like I need a patch of skin placed in that spot. I need it to be smooth.