Remedies for Armpit Odor

Category Home Remedies
Armpit odor is not only embarrassing but may be difficult to get under control. This is a guide about remedies for armpit odor.

Since my first child I've had the problem of arm pit odor. I'm thinking it has something to do with my hormone levels changing, but haven't had it checked yet. What have you tried, I've tried practically all the brands of deodorants including some men's brands, crystals, alcohol, and apple cider vinegar to no avail.

irislynn777

Answers

Best Answer

I too had the probem of not being able use deodorant. Mainly because it appeared that I was allergic to most of it as it always started horrible itching problems. I now alternate between baking soda and unscented baby powder which seems to work just as well as deodorant -- plus the benefit of being a lot cheaper.

By Diana (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Speak to your doctor-believe it or not there are prescription deodorants for hard to combat body odor. Could it be a soiled clothing that is actually the culprit. BO is almost impossible to get out of clothing.

By Barb (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I too had terrible arm pit sweat when I had a thyroid imbalance. You might check with your doctor and have your thyroid level checked. I used to be fine as far as keeping body odor and sweat under control. My thyroid levels changed and I felt like a sponge being wrung out every day. I even wore tank tops in the winter. I got my thyroid levels back to the right ones and I am back to a normal sweat level. Just something else to check. Good luck.

Best Answer

You need to consult with a dermatologist, there is a pill you can take that will solve your problem. In fact you can go a full day without deodorant or antiperspirant. I know this can be a very embarrassing moment and I feel you pain but I am sure a dermatologist can help.

Best Answer

I have been fighting underarm odor for the past 35+ years. Have tried every deodorant, crystal, powder, etc. on the market. I am also allergic to fragrance so until kinda recently I couldn't use deodorants without getting an awful rash. And when I was young, I was a professional ballroom dancer, so keeping fresh and sweet smelling was quite a challenge. Things I have learned are:

You need to scrub your underarms with a light scrubber using an antibiotic soap bar like Dial or Safeguard. This gets rid of most prior deodorant applications and bacteria and keeps your pores unclogged. Everyone's chemistry is different, so try different antibiotic soaps to find the best for you.

Then after you've towel dried, use rubbing alcohol thoroughly under your armpits. Repeat a couple times a day as necessary. I use flat round cotton pads soaked in a little container I can carry in my purse. This makes it easy to do a quickie touchup wipe anytime or anywhere.

If I know I am going to be working out or going dancing, I will use a product called Drysol or CertiDri(?). This must be applied at nite after you've showered and are lying down in bed. Apply lightly to underarms and keep arms raised until completely dry or it may sting and cause redness or a rash. This method should keep you dry all day. Its kinda a hassle but will keep you dry during workouts or stress.

Lastly, I wear breathable tops. No synthetics or silks. These fabrics retain the odor and get worse as the day goes on.

When this method is used most of the time, deodorants are then effective when you use them periodically.

Additionally, you can also spray a small amount of your perfume below your underarms on your blouse or top so when you lift your arms, only the smell of your perfume should waft up to your nose or others around you. I hope this work for you as it has worked for me.

Best Answer

Exfoliating arm pits with a natural loofah gets rid of dead skin. Sometimes the pH is off so use a baking soda (without aluminum) along with the loofah. Follow with an organic apple cider vinegar rinse.

Using alcohol directly in your pits does kill bacteria but the alcohol goes into your bloodstream and it also upsets the natural balance of bacteria. There's good bacteria and bad bacteria.

Always analyze your diet. Taking probiotics can help with an imbalance. Eating a diet that is mostly alkaline, as opposed to acidic really helps too. That means lots of green leafy vegetables. Drinking lots of water is important.

Proper elimination (bowl movements) is paramount. Stagnant food stinks inside and outside the body. Working out or yoga classes that make you sweat really helps to clean out the body. Saunas are great too.

Lastly, rubbing 1/2 a lime on the offending area and leaving it for 20 minutes is a great exfoliator. Do it day and night for best results.

Well everyday I go to school by walking, but I sweat even before getting to school. Sometimes I feel like going back home and showering but it's too late.
Many people talk about me and they say I never shower. I don't understand even when I'm showering routinely it happens. Why do my armpits smell so bad when I'm playing, but others don't smell. What can I do? And why me only?

Answers

Best Answer

Do you have excessive perspiration? This can also be a problem, as well as smelliness. My son had this problem, and used a product called "Drysol" (I think that was the name -- I hope it was! We found the name by googling on the net, and then discussed this with our druggist, who had the product on the shelves.) This worked well for him. As well, he used Mitchem antiperspirant, as that was the most effective brand. I would also suggest wearing clothes made from cotton, as polyester shirts are more prone to smelliness than cotton ones. You could try these things first, as they are pretty low cost, and don't require a doctor's visit. However, if the perspiration is not excessive, Drysol is not for you; it is not for just odor.

Best Answer

Try this. Go to cvs or walgreens and buy hibiclens. Use it daily or even three times per week. I know it makes you super clean and it is what health professionals such as surgeons use before surgery.

Best Answer

It sound hormonal. You can balance your ph out with drinking raw apple cider vinegar with water and raw honey. Take some probiotics and wash with baking soda instead of soap. It cleanses better and balances your skin ph out. It may take about 2 weeks to change but it works. You can also put clove oil, just a drop, on your deoderant then put on. It kills bacteria. But only use a tiny drop its very hot. You can get pure clove oil from most stores for $6

My underarms always smell a little bit bad after showering, no matter what I've used. I've used so many different showering gels, cloths, and sponges. None work. The smell isn't terrible, but it's never fully clean. I'm also on quite a tight budget. :/ Please help.

By Terri M.

Answers

Best Answer

Armpit odor is caused by bacteria. Shower body wash, gels etc. may not work for everyone. Try this on a weekend. After your shower apply antibacteria ointment on your pits. May take two treatments. The Walmart house brand is good. The odor will vanish.

Best Answer

I had the same problem so solved the problem. I exfoliated underarms with a paste made of baking soda and cornmeal, no more odor. We have dead skin under armpits. It works, try it

Best Answer

I found out from the People's Pharmacy website that baby diaper cream works best. I have been using it about twice a week after my shower instead of ANY deodorant for about six months and it really works. I use Boudreaux's Butt Paste brand that has a slight balsam smell, but you can shop around.

I am in college now, but still I can't cure my underarm problem. It's not the sweat, it's the smell. I've tried everything, but none of it worked. Some students was making fun of me and that's not really good. It's bringing down my confidence and I don't know what to do. I'm so hopeless for now, I feel so down. I don't wanna be the same girl anymore. I wanna express myself, but I can't because this thing keeps holding me back. I'm so tired of being teased. What should I do?

By Mikaela

Answers

Best Answer

Hey so I struggled with the same issue all my life and am now in college. I actually have hyper hydrosis (not sure if I spelled that right) which is an over sweating of the palms but I swear I have the sweatiest pits and feet out there. I use apple cider vinegar on my arm pits after my morning shower, once a week. It kills the bacteria. When it comes to the confidence thing you just have to get a bit sassy! Your nerves about the smell will only make you sweat more. If someone is commenting about the smell I give you permission to say you have a disease called hyper hydrosis, and trust me once you say it's a disease or a disorder then they are the ones that look bad for making fun of you. Embrace the sweat and be confident, if someone has a problem with it then it's their problem not yours.

I have tried everything from lime to baking soda to milk of magnesia. I try to remove all the bacteria as much as possible with methylated spirit. I use a men's deodorant now and nothing seems to be working. I am a teenager. It is very embarrassing because I am a leader in many groups and a lot of people talk bad about me. Please help.

By Camun D

Answers

Best Answer

You should take 1 chllorophyll tablet twice a day , Also wipe underarms with lemon juice[can use the stuff that comes in the bottle] - rinse and dry.then put deodorant on , You will still sweat but you won't have a bad odor , make sure you are not allergic to grass [chlorophyll] or green plants before you take the chlorophll , was with a good deodorant soap or a peppermint soap . . should help

I am a 15 year old and I have really bad body odor. I sweat a lot which does not help at all. It's usually when I sweat that the odor starts and people are reporting me to the health aid and making fun of me before class starts. It's really upsetting me so much that I never want to be in class because I am so embarrassed. It mainly only happens at school, when I get home the sweating stops and so does the body odor so I am really confused. I don't know what to do. I don't know how much more I can take the teasing. It hurts so much and I am always embarrassed to be around other people at school because I don't want to be made fun of. Someone please help me I don't know what to do.

I have a strange odor emanating from my body. It's not a "BO" odor, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it starts. At first I thought it was some medication I was taking and which I stopped taking, but the odor continues. It isn't food related either. I went to the doctor and I have her stumped. What could be causing this?

By Andrea from NY

Answers

I think you have to be more specific... is the smell like a popcicle? motor oil? banana pudding? Chanel 5? and is it every day?

Are you taking any herbs or vitamins? I took St John's wort and one very hot day I kept smelling something like a decaying swamp. It was me.

Worked one short job in a warehouse during a hot summer and I could smell all the coffee I drank sweating out of me.

Lots of people love lavender, perfume, soap, shampoo, etc. I like the smell but on my skin it turns really odd.

My guess is it's something you take in, or slather on.

If it smells like keytone/acetone/finger nail remover, could be an indicator of diabetes, but that's mainly a breath thing.

Garlic and asparagus cause a strange smell in my urine, but only as long as it takes to digest them.

Do you have migraine headaches? My hubby used to give off a weird chemical smell just before he got his headaches. I always knew when he was in for a dilly. It was so bad nobody would go near him. It eventually disappeared as he got older, although the migraines were still there.

When I started taking Omega-3 fish oil I eliminated any body odor. Since it is an important nutrient at least it will help your body even if it doesn't help your odor problem.

This may sound crazy, but could it be your clothing? Maybe you have changed your laundry soap, fabric softener? You may still smell if after a shower you are drying yourself with towels washed in the detergent, fabric conditioner that you have changed? This happened to me until I realized it wasn't me but I had changed to using vinegar in my laundry and the smell seemed to cling to only me in my family! I was obviously using too much vinegar!

Strange smells can be candida over growth, & when you describe a smell, others may not recognize the smell as that. Everyone's nose is different & there are conditions that make you smell things in a different way. It's why good perfume smells different to different people.
Candida has a smell when it is in the shoes, clothes, underarm, everywhere. You could try taking some parsley, either fresh or in caps, you just need a lot of it, but if it's candida, it's serious, get it under control.

I was using Rexona soap for 3 months. After that I developed an odor coming from my armpits. I even remove the hair from my armpits, but it does not help. It is very noticeable even in winter. I tried Lifebuoy and Dove soap, but there is no change. Can anyone please give me solution?

By Mani from Ap

It's a bit long winded so please bare with me on this. I shower every morning before work around 6am. I always use deodorant and aftershave. For a good few hours or so I smell great and feel fresh.

The office where I work doesn't have air conditioning and I find that by mid morning (say 10am) I start to develop an underarm odor. It's not terrible, you can just about make out the smell of my shower gel, but it just smells a bit off.

I also wear white t-shirts underneath my work shirts really just to prevent any embarrassing sweat stains appearing on my shirts. I've wondered whether this off smell might be coming from the t-shirts which in turn affects the smell from under my arms.

It's started to make me paranoid at work as I have overheard people talking about me in the office. It makes me feel useless because I'm aware of the slightly off smell.

Is there anything I can do to stop this slightly off odor I develop whilst at work? Any help would be really appreciated.

By JakeP

I'm a 35 year old female with excessive sweat and odor under my arms. I have tried most deodorants including the clinical strength. I just don't know what to do, nothing seems to help. Hope you can help me.

By can ya help? from Anaheim, CA

I am 25 years old male and have seriously excessive foul smelling sweating, just from my underarms. I have tried several antiperspirants, however none seem to help. The sweating is not throughout the day, but usually random 10-15 minutes sweat bursts from specifically the underarms. No deodorant or perfume has been able to mask the smell.

I have tried everything from changing several shirts during the daytime, to daily showering using anti bacterial soaps. Nothing seems to work and this can be really terrible if occurs during a meeting or at my workspace. Wondering if someone is facing similar problems. Thanks

By Dimitry

I've never had smelly armpits. I do sweat, but it was always the salty-like smell; never a bad smell. About a month ago i noticed the change in odor. I thought it was this new perfume my roommate got for me which I stopped using immediately. Nothing changed. No deodorant helps, makes it instead worse.

I increased my number of showers from twice daily to three or four. Nothing changed. Am I sick? I really need help.

By Relinda

I use deodorants everyday. I started taking antibiotics a week and a half ago and for the past 3 days I been having this sour odor from my armpits. I take a shower twice a day.

By Miranda

I want to stop using a deodorant (roll-on) without my armpits having an odor, is it possible?

By Thabi

Hand sanitizer worked like a charm for me when I developed a sudden, strong underarm odor that no amount of bathing, traditional remedy, nor deodorant would control. Four physicians dismissed the problem as normal, even though I'm a middle aged woman who has never had a body odor and have never had to use deodorant.

After many months of this embarrassing problem, I got the idea to try hand sanitizer. Not only did the sanitizer stop the odor immediately, after a week's use the odor has not returned. I'm assuming the cause was bacterial and that the sanitizer killed whatever bacteria was lurking there. At any rate, it's a cheap, safe solution to try.

After reading all the tips and trying them out, none worked for me. However after I thought about the cause of the odor, which is bacteria, I realized I was going about it the wrong way.

I went out and bought a bottle of anti-bacterial soap. When pumped, and you only need to pump it once, it creates a foam. Take a bit in both palms and rub it in the armpit.

At the beginning, wash twice, rinse and dry and then take a little in each palm and apply to underarm. Let it dry a bit and then get dressed.
It took about 4 washes to get rid of the odor. I did this for a week and I was so happy. Now I wash my armpits twice a day (morning and bedtime) with the same antibacterial soap and only apply my regular anti-perspirant.

I come from a tropical country when I was a kid. I remember at school the teacher would make us rub lime with baking soda, that used to work very well!

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 30, 2013
🎄
🎉