Removing a Skunk from a Live Trap

baby skunk and wildflowers
You will want to use caution when releasing one of these cute but odiferous members of the weasel family from a live trap. This is a guide about removing a skunk from a live trap.

This story begins with a squirrel problem. The squirrels are getting all our pecans and there won't be a single pecan on the tree when it's time for them to fall. I borrowed our son's live trap and set it with some delicious shelled pecans to catch them and relocate them to a farm. The squirrels showed no interest and continued to climb the tree and take the pecans.

I got up early yesterday morning, looked out the window and could see something in the trap. It was larger than a squirrel, had a long bushy tail and digging like crazy trying to get out of the cage. I had caught a skunk. What in the world were we going to do? I raised the window and the air was clean. He had not sprayed, yet.

When my hubby got up, he didn't have a lot to say. He appeared to be calm, but in his mind he was working on a plan.

My stress began to build. I got on the computer and searched for a solution. You cover yourself just in case you get sprayed. You approach the cage slowly and quietly so as not to scare the skunk. It helps if he can't see you. Lay a tarp or blanket over the cage and open the door to the trap. The skunk will come out and leave. Sounded simple, but could I do it?

I picked up my devotion book and just opened it to a page and read. The devotion was about faith and prayer and a reminder that He is always there for us to call on. The last paragraph stated, "Regardless of what the crisis in your life may be, lay your problem before Him in trust and He will transform your crisis into a blessing". I could feel that that message was for me.

While eating breakfast, I told my husband my plan. He said he had an idea and he would take care of it. I convinced him that I could do it my way, so with 5 plastic garbage bags, and duct tape, grocery bag over my head with section for eyes, nose and mouth cut out, he got me all covered up. Then the dust mask and eye goggles were put in place. By this time the skunk had curled up in the corner of the cage and was fast asleep. I'm sure he was exhausted.

With tarp in hand and my body covered, I was ready to go.

The trap door is solid so the skunk could not see me. Quietly and easily, I walked toward the cage, my heart started pounding. I stopped and stood for a while to calm myself down plus that's what you do to keep the skunk calm. Gradually I got to the cage and covered the trap, then stooped down and with the tarp in my hand, I felt for the lever to lift the door and lock it open. I figured the skunk would see the opening and crawl under the tarp and out he would go.

It didn't happen. The other end of the cage was exposed enough that I could see from the kitchen window that the skunk was still curled up in the corner and fast asleep. I got my reach extender and went out and gently pulled the tarp over the cage so the open door was exposed. During the day, I looked several times from a distance and it appeared he was still sleeping.

Over 3 hours later, a puff of wind came and gradually blew the tarp off the cage. The skunk stood up, looked around and sniffed. After a while, he walked out and scampered off to the woods leaving no trail of skunk smell behind.

I have smelled skunk and knew we have them in our area, however, I had never seen one. That was my blessing. He was so cute!

Source: What would we do without computers?

I just loved this story!! Kudos to you for being so patient and kind with Skunky!!

What an enchanting and lovely story. Your narrative is sumptuous and of the nature I would use to relate it to children, who would be spellbound and then rife with questions when it was finished. It would be fun to even bring your "get-up" to show them for laughs. Thank you for this. Your messages were integral to my needs today, so you did so much more than tell a lovely story.

I echo J'Marinde's sentiment. A lovely digression to start my day. Thank you.

I just noticed that to the left of the last picture, there is a cross from the shadow of the bird feeders on the post. My grandma told me many times, many years ago, "If there is a will, there is a way". She taught me a lot about faith in our Lord.