Repairing Purses

I've had this brand new handbag for many years now, but it just sits in the closet because, although I like the brown crocheted material of the handbag, I wasn't too crazy about its faux lizard trim on the handle. (I bought it for about $12.95 at the Navy Exchange). I found a cute belt from the thrift shop so I ripped off the original handle and hand-sewed the belt. Voila! A brand new handbag you won't find anywhere else!

By Renee from San Diego, CA

More Solutions

I just got a lovely designer handbag as a gift, spring colors! It's sort of a Coach bag with part fabric, so I am going to have to spray it with Scotchgard before I use it, to help keep it clean and new looking longer.

23 Questions

I would like to have repairs done on a per Coach Bag that my sister had gotten me. It needs new handles and the strip in the front needs to be replaced.

I would like to know about how much it would cost. Does anyone know where I can get this information?

Answers

Any shoe repair shop can fix your bag. They will give you a price estimate and repair should only take a couple of days, depending upon their business.

If is a true Coach bag and not a knockoff then Coach will repair it. Coach bags have a lifetime guarantee. Reach out to them and provide the info and they will give you the next steps.

$20 if you send it to the Coach repair place that you find on their website. I did it and it was as simple as sending $20 and filling out a form as long as it is a genuine Coach brand purse.

Anonymous

Be careful . That was not my experience . They returned my bag and said it couldn't be repaired. I was sent a 40% voucher . Why would I spend money on another bag ? They don't always repair their product . Sad but true .

I have a vintage Fendi bag made from a vinyl material and the trimming is damaged. Can it be replaced?

This is my favorite handbag gifted to me by a special person. I was riding a bicycle and put this bag on the handle. I don't know how, but it got a a hole and few scratches. My heart sank when I saw the hole. I am a college student. I can't afford to lose it or get it repaired in a professional store.

Kindly suggest a thrifty, cheapest, almost free solution to repair it and reuse it. I don't mind doing it by myself. I just want it repaired and reusable. Please help me.

Answers

Take your purse to a shoe repair service, look for one in a nice area, and ask for an estimate for repair. You might be surprised at what they can do.

I can't think of any way to repair that sort of damage. Is it a real leather handbag, or synthetic? If it was more of a sporty bag, you might be able to glue a patch on it that might look cute, but since this is such a dressy bag, I think you should check out a shoe repair place and see if they can fix it for you.

The vinyl, circular handles on my purse have cracked badly. As a temporary fix before I can find another purse, I taped over the handles, then covered them with braided-type strips. I was able to conceal the beginning strip, but not the end strip. Any ideas on how I can "cauterize" the end strip so it doesn't unravel? I'm stumped and would appreciate suggestions from ThriftyFun friends! Thanks a bunch!

By Caseye from Plano, TX

Answers

Anonymous

Thread the end of the strip through a large-eyed needle then run it down under the area where you wound it around the handle, then cut the strip.

The braid I used is way too wide to put through a large-eyed needle. I taped the end of the braid so it wouldn't unravel, then took a large-eyed needle and threaded it with heavy-duty thread to try to sew the taped end of the braid to the piece next to it. I'm just hoping to get some ideas of how to seal the end of the braid permanently so it doesn't unravel.
Casey

Hum I'm wondering if you could somehow start over and cut the ends diagonally then touch them to an empty inverted heated tin can bottom over a low flame, experimenting with a piece first to see how much time/heat it takes to melt/cauterize the material?

Then, perhaps, you could glue the melted slant to the old material, tucking the very tips into the edge where the old straps began? Not seeing what you are working with is hard to envision, but still another idea might be to just begin again all over and go with a smaller braid and tuck the braid back under itself as you begin, gluing and clothespinning one end until dry before
trying to wrap the rest of the handle, then gluing the other end when you are through, letting it dry overnight under the clothespins?

I'm also wondering if your old strap might break into with a little weight, making all of your new work of no value? Have you considered sewing and gluing the cracked vinyl strap at each crack to reinforce it and letting it dry very well before you tape? If would give you double strength just in case the tape isn't going to be enough? God bless and help you. : )

Could someone help me revive the brown leather design and strap of my Celine bag? This bag is my favorite and I want to put life into it again, bring it to its glory.

Hope you could all share tips.

Thank you so much.

I have a handbag made of cork and the cork is flaking off in various places. Is there any way this can be repaired?

The M fell off and lost from the front of my purse. So you know anywhere to get a replacement M?
Thanks.

Answers

A local shoe repair service may be able to replace the letter as they have access to many resources for repair. You can also contact the company directly for help.

I absolutely love this bag and I don't care how beat up it is except for the fact the strap is broken and I'm scared to try and sew it and make it even worse. I'm not too worried about fixing the side. Help!

I got this bag at a church bazaar, the rivets are almost coming off. I would like to replace the handles which have buckles.

I am checking Yelp for shoe repair stores, I think it might be hard to match the "brown" hue.

How do I fix the handle on my Gucci bag?

Answers

Your local shoe repair shop repairs many items other than shoes. Take your bag to a shop for an estimate to repair the handle.

Answer this Question

I only like shoulder purses. I bought some purses that I liked, but they have handles plus they came with a shoulder strap. I want to take the handles off and cut the shoulder strap in half and put each half in place of the handles. I thought I could take them to a shoe repair, but I have found out they are almost extinct.

Does someone know if there is a stapler that would go thru the double layer of leather or if you know what kind of gadget that was used in the picture? That would work if I knew what it was.

Answers

go to the miche site ..they sell the rings as well as the different straps ..
OR
check at goodwill for one of their bags and use the parts ..

Answer this Question

I have a yellow plastic, maybe pleather, purse that got impressed on by an animal print purse when stored in the same bin. So now it has random darker yellow snake skin spots on my yellow purse. It almost looks like the plastic top got suctioned or stuck to the yellow layer under it.

By Gwen

Answers

Try either isopropyl alcohol or a little hand sanitizer. Test it in an inconspicuous area first!

Answer this Question

I have a large carry bag and the handle appears to be a vinyl type and it was stitched onto the bag material, so I can't clip it off. The handle is disintegrating and I need help. Any ideas on covering or wrapping the handle with something?

By Linda E

Answers

Can you give us a pic with the broken handle?

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Repair OtherJune 1, 2012
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-Purses.html