Repairing Water Damage on a Hardwood Floor

Category Floors
There may be ways to restore a solid wood floor, but some laminates may have to be replaced. This guide is about repairing water damage on a hard wood floor.

Today I found a large black wet stain under a plant on my hardwood oak floor. I had placed a bowl under the plant, but the water must have gone over the top of the bowl and has sat there for a few days.

I have cleaned and dried the water mark with dry cloths and removed some of the stain with a weak solution of bleach. Some of the black mark came up, but some turned green. My question now is, should I let the stain dry and try sanding it down or try another bleach treatment?

By Joan Wilson from State College, PA

Answers

To get it dry I suggest to use a thick cloth & the iron or a fan, then try to clean off the stain. You may have to sand it then varnish it, good luck.

What can you do when a Swiffer Mop is left on your wooden floor and has left a dark stain? It hasn't been treated with a polyurethane coat since it was sanded down 7 or more years ago.

By Kathy

I left a slightly damp rug on my hardwood flooring. Now there is a stain there, and it took off some of the finish. What is the best way to repair this?

Kari from Michigan

Answers:

Moisture Damage on Hardwood Floor

Try applying some furniture polish to the discoloration, then wipe with a dry cloth. You might have to do several applications to eliminate the stain. I haven't any idea what color your floor is, but try and use a furniture polish that matches the shade of your hardwood flooring. (11/17/2007)

By Marjorie

Moisture Damage on Hardwood Floor

Old English Polish:
It comes in a light color and a dark color, depending on the shade you need. Works really good. I've used it on water spots, or trim on the house that has gotten scuffed or scratched. Good luck! (11/18/2007)

By Linda

Moisture Damage on a Hardwood Floor

If the mark is whitish or pale, the moisture has not gone into the wood itself, just the varnish. Use toothpaste. If the mark is dark or even black, the moisture is in the wood. The only way to get that stain out is to sand it down and pray the stain isn't deep! (03/10/2008)

By Brandy