ChairsFurniture

Repairing a Glider Rocker

I have just bought a glider-rocker from Craigslist and I'm looking at it from across the room for the first time. It looks to me like it's sitting much too far from the floor (image attached). When I got it home, it slid out from under me and hit the bookcase behind it. So I'm wondering if I knocked something loose or does it look OK.

Best Answer

I do not believe this is safe for you to use as it is.

• I'm wondering if the glider mechanism even goes with this chair as I have never seen any glider that even resembles this chair.
  • I believe it is possible that it was put together by someone and was not originally made this way.
  • I would recommend that you take a couple more photos (this one is very good) and go to a small to medium size furniture store and ask them to help you with this problem.
  • The smaller furniture stores have service people who put furniture together and generally would be more willing to help you (more so than a larger store).
  • Or you may be able to Google furniture repair shop with your zip code and find someone to ask this question.
  • I do not think I would use this chair until I knew for sure it was safe.

How is it when you sit on it? If it slides smoothly and quietly it is ok.

Thank you, Judy, for your response. I'm now so paranoid about it that I'm not sure, but I think (hope) it's rocking and gliding as it should.

It's a chair that I got because I know my grandson will love it so I just want to be sure it's safe. It seems sturdy enough. I'm just glad you didn't respond with horror at the photograph. Thanks again.