Repairing a Rice Bed

Category Beds
These free standing carved posts bed frames are also known as plantation beds. This is a page about repairing a rice bed with a broken corner post.

I have a king size rice bed. Due to frequent moving, etc. the post no longer tighten, the screws seem to be stripped, how can I fix this problem?

Nickyb71 from Augusta, GA

Answers

By Verue (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You can insert a toothpick into the hole, cut it flush with the wood and then screw the screw back in. Used this method on my kitchen cabinet doors.

Best Answer

You need to use Teflon tape. Just like you would use on your water pipes. Wrap it a couple of times around the screw threads. You don't want to use glue, if you need to take it apart to move again it might not come loose. With the Teflon tape if you need to take it apart you can then if it needs to be re tighten just use a little more tape. I have a used furniture store, take my word, this is a easy fix!

We have a broken a headboard post with our last move. The break is at the narrow logical point below the carved upper and the square below. The broken grain fibers need to fit perfectly when repaired. I would really like to use a dowel (inserting it at least 2.5" into each broken end). The tricky part will be centering the dowel so that both halves slide back together. I do have a plan, but would like to have other opinions before tackling this project.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry to be late in answering your question but my copies of ThriftyFun always arrives a day later than when posted(?).

Are you trying to repair your bed post without using glue?
Sorry Judy - Judys suggestion would be a good idea but the Chair-Loc Co. went out of business several years ago and I do not believe you will find it for sale. But they do make similar products that can be used. This type of product is not glue as we normally think of "glue" but it is supposed to swell the fibers and lock them in. I have never used this as I generally use it E6000 glue but it seems to be getting good reviews.

Here are some links that might interest you:
www.swingpaints.com/.../Circa-1850-Chair-Loc-Wood-Sweller
www.rockler.com/wonderlok-em-loose-joint-repair
www.leevalley.com/.../page.aspx?p=30261&cat=1,110,30261
E6000 glue is a very good product:
www.walmart.com/.../17808713

www.amazon.com/.../B004BPHQWU?tag=thrif06-20

I am looking for a complete single rice bed post. My daughter is set on using set, but it is lacking one post. I have no idea where it went. I am located in mid Missouri, but travel thru southeast Kansas and northeast Oklahoma.

Answers

You could contact the manufacturer. If it is an antique, you could have a craftsman make a replacement one.

I do not believe you will be able to find a single rice bed post but you might try placing a 'wanted ad' on local sites like Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo, Nextdoor.com and see if anyone has even a full bed for sale.

I did find a site that teaches classes on making/carving these but I could not find a posting later than 2018 so they may not be doing this anymore. They did also make these poster beds so maybe they could help you.
I would say try to contact them to see if they can help you find someone to make a duplicate for you.
Scroll down for contact information on right side.

www.marymaycarving.com/.../

Information about rice beds:

www.hunker.com/.../what-is-a-rice-bed

www.marymaycarving.com/.../

When we lived in a townhouse and broke a wooden turned cut railing and baluster when trying to move a dresser down the steps. UGH.

Then I had a baby doll cradle where the foot-board had broken during a move.

In both cases (I was living in two different places) I used the yellow pages (pre-internet) and found local wood workers who were able to do custom work.

It was surprisingly inexpensive for what was done.

I know this kind of bed post is a little more complex than what I needed, but I would think a good wood worker could fix you up easily. They can see the existing posts and get the best idea for stain and shape.

I think it is totally doable.

Post back what you learn.

If you can not find what you are looking for online or through the manufacture of the bed I would contact a wood crafter and have him craft one for you. This shouldn't be too difficult and shouldn't cost you too much to have this one done.

The bottom rail on my rice bed is broken. I would like to find a new one or where can I get that one fixed.

By Linwood

Home and Garden Repair Furniture BedsJune 28, 2017
🎃
🌻