Repairing a Run in Sheer Shirt Sleeve

I have a shirt with long sheer sleeves with a run in it, like stocking material; how do I repair it? The seamstress said it can not be sewn. Should I use clear nail polish to prevent tearing?

By Cindy

Clear fingernail polish will leave a shiny mark and will be hard. I was a tailor for many years - your seamstress is correct in saying that it can't be sewn, but if it's in a suitable spot perhaps an applique or braid can be sewn over the run and then be matched on the other sleeve. Or try to find the same shade of fabric and have a new sleeve made (actually, I would replace both so that they match.

Home and Garden Repair ClothingNovember 6, 2014
🎂
🌻
📓