RefinishingFurniture

Restoring an Old Trunk

I have just purchased this lovely old trunk. I really don't know that much about it, but want to get it cleaned up. Can anybody help me please? I do want to do the inside too, but it's the outside I'm more concerned about. I think it's wicker underneath, not sure

Many thanks.

I collect these, Jane, and love them for not only room accents but also functionality (one for Christmas decorations, one for gift wrap and bags, one for board games ... you get my drift). They've come from various places and sources, one from an uncle who thought it pretty cool to add a coat of paint. It doesn't look bad, but I prefer the authenticity of those which were merely cleaned up. They are genuine antiques and by restoring you may be diminishing the value. So ... my advice? Clean it up as best you can, find out more about its origin and enjoy it as a conversation starter in your home.

If you do anything to it, you will destroy it's value as an antique. Just use a soft cloth and elbow grease...no cleaning products.

Hi, sorry I think you have the wrong idea of what I meant 'restoring'. I want to keep the originality there as much as possible. I just want to know the best products to give it a little life again as it's pretty filthy.

I've found out a little more, Of wicker with heavy black tar cloth covering and leather and brass fittings. So what should I use to bring the cloth and leather up? Any ideas?;-)

Keep your old trunk as it is as much as you can tolerate. I would only dust it. Look for ways to lightly "clean" old wood or whatever material you think it is made from. I believe you can find your answer on Pinterest.com. If you do a lot of cleaning, you will devalue it. You sorta have to learn to like the dirt, I think. lol