Saving Leftover Unmixed Hair Dye

Can I keep hair coloring if I only use part of the bottles that you mix together. I have short hair and don't use all of the product. And I was wondering if I don't mix all the product, can I use it later? And if so how long can I keep it?

By Esther

I have done it by not mixing it all and saving and it was fine.

The product that I use says that you can do that, as long as you don't mix the products together. Once you mix them, you have to use them up or toss them. Read the package insert, and it will likely give you details.

My hair is short, I do not use all my colour mix at one time, I keep half back that is not mixed. I also do this with my permanents, enjoy saving a little money.
Anne

Yes, you can keep unused permanent hair color as long as it has not been mixed with a developer, such as peroxide. How long you can keep it and get satisfactory results, varies. Darker colours tend to keep longer than lighter colours.

Both leftover color and developer should be tightly sealed and kept in a cool dark place. A refrigerator is best.

To insure a good colour 'take' and a good colour match to the already coloured hair, I would suggest you use the leftover colour within four to six weeks.

How long can i keep my hair dye as long as i dont mix it all up for???

I have noticed that newer products react with air as soon as you open them, so if you don't use it all straight away it becomes inert. Even if they are unmixed, tightly sealed and kept cool. Rip-off.