InternationalRecipes

Shirataki Pad Thai

Shirataki noodles are the zero calorie, zero carb, zero gluten "miracle noodle" from Japan that is made from konjac root. We used to only be able to find these noodles in Asian grocery stores, but now they are available at most stores and all over the internet.

I turned my shirataki noodles into this Pad Thai dish because I love to make my sauce from chunky peanut butter, and it helps even out that guilt. I also cut the carrots and onions into "noodles" to make it seem heftier, yet stay light. If you'd like a super skinny Pad Thai, use this recipe but swap out the peanut butter with a powdered version like PB2.

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

1. Add peanut butter, soy sauce, chili sauce and juice of lime to a bowl.
  2. Grate the ginger into the bowl.
  3. Grate the garlic clove into the bowl.
  4. Add water, stir well, the mix in sugar.
  5. Cut carrot into quarters, lengthwise.
  6. Use a vegetable peeler to make thin strips.
  7. Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add carrots and onions and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
  8. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs.
  9. Make a well in the carrots and onions, add the other teaspoon of coconut oil, then pour in the eggs.
  10. Add a dash of salt and pepper to the eggs, then quickly scramble them.
  11. Add the shirataki noodles to the pan.
  12. Add peanut sauce to the pan.
  13. Mix well and allow to cook for a minute or two. Garnish with chopped cilantro on top, if desired.