Social Security Survivor's Benefit Check

I am 17 yrs old and I am wanting to move out of my parents' house. I was wondering who my check will go to when I do move out?

By Kirstie

Best Answer

Do you plan on moving out before you are 18? This is something that you and your mother are going to have to make arrangements to go to your local Social Security Office and talk to them about. I might be wrong, but as long as you are a minor the checks go to your parents for your support or if they can afford to put them in savings for college. That being said, I have always heard the checks stop when a child turns 18 or graduates from high school.

As long as you get checks, they will go to your legal guardian. If you would like them to go to yourself, you will have to get legally emancipated from your parent/ guardian. Since you are already 17, it probably wouldn't happen through the courts before your 18th birthday, when the checks stop.

If you can prove that your parents are not using the checks for your care, you can petition the courts for that too. We knew someone who was partying and shopping for herself when she received her kids checks. She was taken to court and lost, but the person going after her had documented the situation for several years, proving that she had neglected the kids medical care primarily.

Anonymous

In a similar situation. When I turned 18 my mom got my last check in the mail with my name on it. And she asked me to sign it over. Could I of said no? Was that technically my check that I could of kept??

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceFebruary 9, 2014
📓
🐛
🌻