Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

My husband was murdered in 2003. We had two children 11 and 18 months. When I signed up, I only signed up my kids because it seemed in the long run they would receive the most benefits, plus I was only 32 and the likelihood of myself getting remarried was considered.

I did remarry, but divorced in 2012. My daughter has since been dismissed from drawing due to her age. My son is still receiving benefits, but I was wondering, now that I am no longer married, can I still draw the widows benefits? And I do work, so would it be wise?

Thanks in advance!

By Jennifer G

Best Answer

I receive that benefit as well as my social security. One thing I do know is this you would have had to be married to your deceased husband at least ten years. It just might "pay" you to call your SS office. I hope this helps.

Call your local Social Security Office, they are the ones that can answer your questions.

Not to be rude, but why ask us? We are not experts and chances are you will get the wrong answer.

Call the 800 number for the office in your area and get the correct info in the matter of a few minutes.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMarch 5, 2014
📓
🐛
🌻