Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

Can I change my benefits from my mom's name to mine? If so, how do I do it? I'm 17 and my father passed away when I was 12. I have not seen any of the money. I never knew I was getting money until I was informed by a family member.


By Semani L.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 21, 20140 found this helpful
Best Answer

Social Security benefits are awarded to your guardian for your care and should be used to provide the necessities of life until you are 18 years old. This is usually the surviving parent - your mother in this case - and she had no obligation to inform you of the money she receives.

If you move away from home and hence provide all of your own support - then you may be eligible to receive the benefit in your name. Are you prepared to do that? Do you think you can be totally independent by receiving this benefit check?

Pay a visit to your local Social Security office as this is the only place you can obtain the true facts about this money.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 19, 20140 found this helpful

More than likely the money that you received all these years has been used to support you. That is usually how the money is used. If it wasn't needed for that, it could have been put into savings for college. I don't understand why minors think that the survivors benefits should be handed directly to them Whoever has been raising/supporting you is probably named as as your conservator or protective payee.


I'm assuming you have never been homeless or hungry or wearing clothing that was barely being held together because it was so worn out. Talk to your local Social Security Office.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 21, 20140 found this helpful

I don't think you can have the money changed to your name as of yet. I believe you have to be 18, though states might be different. I would go into a SS office and speak to someone regarding it.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMay 19, 2014
Back to School Ideas!
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/08/28 01:32:38 in 981 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!