Spending The Evening With Deer

It was nice to go out in the late evening with Mocha, my calico cat. She loves it when I let her stay out after dark. It certainly was cooler when the sun went down. The outdoor lights were on, but I could see better when the moon came up. It looked big and yellow just over the horizon.

I saw some mule deer and figured Mocha would want to bother them, like usual. She likes to stalk them and pretend she is trying to catch one. I was right- she ran right in, but got nervous when the bucks turned their attention towards her. Her bravado has limits, apparently.

I watched the deer graze for a while, then I sat down in the grass in the middle of the small herd. Soon the five deer lay down to chew their cud. The young six point buck and his doe were nearest to me. I watched them chew and listened to cicadas in the trees somewhere. Mocha got bored when the animals wouldn't play and went to check out prairie dog holes instead. I could barely see her white parts moving in the dark. The buck next to me stretched out all four of his legs.

After about half an hour I needed my circulation back so I got up to collect Mocha. The deer did not bother to rise.

I enjoyed spending some time with my friends. Best of all, there was no price of admission.

The more time we spend with other species, the more we realize how much we are alike, rather than different. It also helps us realize we are not at the top of the chain. There is no top of the chain.

Thanks for a sweet little story, Abigail.

What a lovely story about a peaceful way of life. It carried me to a beautiful place.

We had 2 acres of land a huge pond shared with a red fox,a herd of deer,10 rabbits, 4 dogs,4 cats with 5 sons. No one bother each other and on Wednesday night all shared spaghetti. You had to see the red fox with spaghetti hanging from his mouth. The deer after eating would rest in the front yard and the rest made my concrete patio their resting area. My granddaughter age 3-4 loved the sight. After an hour everyone went on.

Abigail I felt like I was there with you while reading your story! Love deer and that was a sweet story about them. You are so lucky to live near them!!

realestatemama I would love to see the fox eat spaghetti.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I enjoyed this story very much! How lovely that the deer weren't afraid of you and you were able to observe them so closely!

It must be a pleasure to be able to get so close to nature right in your own backyard.

Lovely story and photo!

Nice story! We have a lot of deer here and enjoy watching them often...so peaceful...

If you are in the mood for comedy though, you can't beat watching chickens eat spaghetti. Or even funnier---peanut butter!

Chickens eating peanut butter! I like that.

Thank you everyone for your comments.