Succulent Planter Crafts

Make planters for succulent houseplants from recycled items. Popular varieties include jade, aloe vera and hen and chicks. These low moisture plants require very little care so they make a great gift. This is a guide about succulent planter crafts.

This is a novel idea for a succulent plant. It is made with a thick book and succulent plants. Succulents take very little moisture. They are great for arid places or inside in the winter with the dry heat. They are like a cactus. They take moderate light and are exceptionally easy to grow.

Approximate Time: A couple of hours

Instructions:

This does take some time, but I like the results. Find an old book that you no longer want.

1. Mark on the beginning page a margin around it so you will know where to cut. I left a 1-1/2 inch margin. This will vary depending on how large the book is. Mine is 6-1/4 inches by 9-1/4 inches and 2-1/2 inches deep.
  2. Ad

3. Then, using a straight edge and a box cutter, I started cutting through as many pages at a time as I could do. When you are almost through to the end, tie a ribbon or hemp around the pages to hold them together.
  4. Line the planting cavity with either parchment paper or some type of plastic wrap.
  5. Add potting soil for succulents.
  6. Plant succulents.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Top Comment

I heard about this idea a couple of years ago but never investigated it so actually seeing one for the first time here really impresses me! It's adorable and oh so recycle green! You should make oodles of these and sell them, Elaine! The planters are called Honbachi (book pot).

Turns out there's a company in Tokyo that even uses them as Bonzai planters and they are quite popular.

I don't have any books readily available that I would want to do this to but am due for a trip to the Goodwill soon and will find an approriate one to use from there. ;-)

This DIY planter is an envelop style made from chicken wire and lined with moss. It looks quite nice hanging on your fence or elsewhere in your garden. Learn how to make your own by following the steps and their accompanying photos on this page.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes