Succulent Planter Crafts

Make planters for succulent houseplants from recycled items. Popular varieties include jade, aloe vera and hen and chicks. These low moisture plants require very little care so they make a great gift. This is a page about succulent planter crafts.

This is a novel idea for a succulent plant. It is made with a thick book and succulent plants. Succulents take very little moisture. They are great for arid places or inside in the winter with the dry heat. They are like a cactus. They take moderate light and are exceptionally easy to grow.

Approximate Time: A couple of hours

Instructions:

This does take some time, but I like the results. Find an old book that you no longer want.

1. Mark on the beginning page a margin around it so you will know where to cut. I left a 1-1/2 inch margin. This will vary depending on how large the book is. Mine is 6-1/4 inches by 9-1/4 inches and 2-1/2 inches deep.
  2. Advertisement

3. Then, using a straight edge and a box cutter, I started cutting through as many pages at a time as I could do. When you are almost through to the end, tie a ribbon or hemp around the pages to hold them together.
  4. Line the planting cavity with either parchment paper or some type of plastic wrap.
  5. Add potting soil for succulents.
  6. Plant succulents.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Top Comment

I heard about this idea a couple of years ago but never investigated it so actually seeing one for the first time here really impresses me! It's adorable and oh so recycle green! You should make oodles of these and sell them, Elaine! The planters are called Honbachi (book pot).

Turns out there's a company in Tokyo that even uses them as Bonzai planters and they are quite popular.

I don't have any books readily available that I would want to do this to but am due for a trip to the Goodwill soon and will find an approriate one to use from there. ;-)

The school year is coming to an end. This is a nice gift for a teacher, neighbor, co-worker, friend, or anyone special. It is homemade and inexpensive.

This project cost about $1.21 if I were to make 4 (made 3) with items I already had at home.

Total Time: 1 hour

• wide Mason jars ($4.49)
  • scissors
  • hot glue
  • burlap
  • twine
  • soil
  • succulents
  • clothespin
  • paper
  • Sharpie
  • Optional printer

1. For this project, I used the wide pint jars by the brand Ball (purchased from Target.)
  2. Advertisement

3. Fill about half with soil.
  4. Get some succulents from your yard (preferably with roots). Plant in the jar.
  5. Fill up with soil.
  6. I used wide burlap I had bought during Christmas and cut into 3 pieces as an accent. I dabbed a little hot glue on the jar to secure the burlap down and used twine to tie a bow.
  7. I wrote, with a Sharpie, on a clothespin each teacher and teacher assistant's name (made 3 in total).
  8. Secured with a little note card. I used this background https://www.burlapandblue.com/2016/04/15/watercolor-flowers-free-printables/ and edited to write a custom message then printed out, cut. Attached gift card and note to the planter. Ready to gift!

This trendy and modern succulent art piece can be hung up (saves space) or displayed as a centerpiece on a table, coffee stand, end table, or desk.

Succulent Planter and DIY Wood Stain - closeup of succulent planting

If you have a succulent garden, you know they are easy to grow (can even be grown from cuttings), require minimal attention and beautiful. Succulents make great gifts, adds a nice little green touch for in the home or office, desk.

Succulent Planters - hand holding the red planter

Recycled food jars, decorative rocks, TP tubes, soil, and succulent cuttings are the main items needed to make living centerpieces.

Succulent Jar Centerpiece - finished jar, filled with white rocks, rosette type succulents in different colors, and tied with a white and green patterned ribbon

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Those foam pumpkins that you see at the craft stores can be turned into adorable succulent planters. These are easy to make and would be perfect centerpieces for a holiday party.

Succulent Pumpkin Planter - having added soil begin to plant cuttings

This DIY planter is an envelop style made from chicken wire and lined with moss. It looks quite nice hanging on your fence or elsewhere in your garden.

Learn how to make your own by following the steps and their accompanying photos on this page.

DIY Hanging Envelope Planter - planter hanging on the fence in the yard

You can remove the hair from a troll doll, fill the head with compost, and plant some small succulent cuttings. This project is about making a succulent troll planter.

A troll toy with a succulent growing out of the head.

Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersFebruary 14, 2017
🎄
🎉

Generated 2019-12-04 07:39:29 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️