Sunscreen Advice

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Man Applying Sunscreen to HimselfMy friends and I are avid bike riders and happen to ride recumbents. As we are at retirement age or over, we have thinning hair. In fact, some of us are bald. My dear friend recently spent $14 on a skull cap to wear under his bike helmet so his head would not get sunburned. I was just about to do the same thing when the frugal side of me took over. What could I utilize under a bike helmet that was light, durable, disposable, absorbent, white, and economical? My Frugal Life

One night at three A.M., it dawned on me.

A coffee filter. I've been using them now for about a month and handing them out to my friends. We have a great laugh at my frugality!

SkyPrince from Des Moines, IA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

9 More Solutions

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 205 Posts

When my kids were little, I enrolled them in the local YMCA summer fun club. One day, they took a day trip to the beach. They forgot their sunscreen on the bus. The counselors told them that was too bad, they weren't going to go back and get it.

I just was in to the dermatologist office to have some cancerous skin spots removed from my mom's tip of her ear. The dermatologist gave us this information and I am sharing it here for the benefit of everyone.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 263 Posts

Most people toss out products when the expiration date comes about. For your sunscreen. . .

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts

Always perspiring the sunscreen off, and have to re-apply on the go? Those samples of moisturizer with sunscreen are great for carrying around in your purse during the summer for extra applications.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts

Supplementing Sunscreen. You can use makeup to supplement you sunscreen! Zinc oxide is an ingredient in most foundations - the same as in sun block.

So I use inexpensive stick foundation where I freckle in addition to my sunscreen. . .

Sunscreen isn't just for summer. Sunlight reflecting off snow can give you a bad burn. Wear sunscreen and sun glasses when out in the snow. By Linda

If you are going on vacation to sunny climate, buy "fresh" containers of sunscreen and take it with you. Many times, in resort areas it is rather high priced so it's better to buy it before you arrive. Be sure to seal the sunscreen in a plastic baggy so it won't leak in your suitcase. By Syd

My face becomes dark whenever it gets exposed in the sun, even for few minutes. How can I protect my face? It's oily. Can I use aloe vera?

Thank you.

By souzza

Answers

I get dark also, I use a good sunscreen and I try to wear a hat.

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 472 Feedbacks

Aloe Vera will soothe a sunburn, but it won't protect your skin from the sun. You must use a sunscreen to block the sun's rays to forego a tan.

I use a 30spf sunscreen by Banana Boat. Not in the least greasy. No fragrance that I can detect, of course, I can't smell stuff worth a darn, but it says fragrance free. They have also 50spf. Apply at least a shot glass amount all over, not just your face. Put it on your neck and chest area and hands and arms.

Your hands will look better after a while. Re-apply after two hours. Replace once a year, so write on the tube with a permanent marker when you bought it! You can also date any lotion or cream or makeup. Fresh is more effective. Cheers!

The Neutrogena Dry-Feel sunscreen is great. I have oily skin and it doesn't make me too greasy.

Answer this Question

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) puts out a list each year of the safest sunscreens. They rate the sunscreens on five factors: health hazards, UVB protection, UVA protection, balance of UVA/UVB protection and sunscreen stability.

From these analyses they give each sunscreen a score, the lower the score the better.

A mother putting sunscreen on a young girl.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceJanuary 28, 2014
🎆
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Sunscreen-Advice.html