Thread Bunching Up on Janome Machine

I have a Janome Memory Craft 3000 sewing machine. I need help troubleshooting my machine and figuring out if it can be fixed for a reasonable price. I have to keep a really sharp needle in or the bottom thread bunches. A needle only lasts about 20-30 minutes. I have tried every single possible combination of thread tension and needle size in an effort to resolve this problem. Then I noticed that after I use the machine for a while, I start to get a mechanical smell. Could the motor be burning out? Is there another reason I could be encountering these issues? Thanks!

If your machine smells, you have some kind of motor or electrical problem. You should get it serviced. The needle shaft is probably out of alignment, causing it to hit something and not last long. That can be fixed too.