Repairing a Janome or New Home Sewing Machine

I have an Usha Janome sewing machine. The thread gets cut in a few stiches. Is it a problem with tension?

Answers

The tension may be too tight, the needle may be threaded incorrectly, the thread may be old or poor quality, or the needle may need to be changed.

119 More Questions

My machine is working for normal sewing, but the overlock needle bar won't move. I have changed the needle, checked all tensions, and cleaned all the dust out.

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds as though it's time for your New Home to have a visit with a professional repair tech. You've noted changing needle, checking tension, cleaning dust, so I'm assuming you've also followed the user manual instructions for the settings needed - after those boxes are ticked there is usually only one reason a machine won't sew - a broken or worn gear/part/assembly within the machine. Generally this isn't something that can be handled at home - a pro has the service manuals, tools, and training to work out and repair the problem.

Answer this Question

I haven't used my New Home Memory Craft 7000 for a few years but got out today to do some zig zagging of edges. Thought I had threaded properly but after a few stitches, it jammed and I had to cut threads to release fabric.

Took plate off under where bobbin is and needle doesn't seem to be taking up bobbin thread. Any ideas please?

Answers

Best Answer

This is not too hard to repair. You just have an issue of threading the machine incorrectly and not installing the bobbin in the right way. it would also help if you took apart the bobbin canister and the holder to do a good cleaning of this area before you start again. Remove all the lint and dust in his area using a small brush. Now add 1 drop of oil here and not more. Put this back together and now take your bobbin and put it back in the canister. Watch how you thread this canister to make sure the thread is moving correctly. Now put it back in the machine. Take the thread out of your machine and on all machines, they have a thread guide or arrows that can be followed. Make sure you follow the arrows. New machines are so easy to thread. Basically, you just put the thread down the right side and around the bottom and up around the arm and straight down. Now thread your needle and start again. Make sure you pull enough thread up from the bobbin and the needle to have a nice little tale at the back so that you can start sewing again.

Answer this Question

Is a New Home Memory Craft 7500 worth getting repaired if it says communication error?

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried resetting it? Your manual would have how to reset. Also make sure it is not clogged with debris. This will hinder the machine if there is anything built up inside , therefore throwing a error code. Clean out , reset, and try again before giving in! Here is a link to others with trouble shooting - sewing.patternreview.com/.../35424

Best Answer

Communication error is not that hard to fix on most sewing machines. The machine could have taken a power surge or when plugged in was not connected correctly. I would start off by resetting the sewing machine. Your user manual has these instructions in the back of the book under troubleshooting. Follow the directions and reset the memory card in the machine. If this is not helping out then there could be an issue with this memory card and it may need to be replaced. I would consult a repair shop because the machine is electronic and at times it is harder to torepair at home if you don't have the experience. See how much the repair shop will charge you to replace this card.

Answer this Question

I have a Janome DC2011 sewing machine. When I zigzag stitch, I found that the needle arm bumps into the needle threader at the highest point in a single stitch. Can I repair this myself?

Answers

Best Answer

You do not say how long you have had your machine or if this is the only problem you are having but if it is a 'newly' acquired machine then I would suggest you contact someone where you purchased your machine and ask for help.
If this is not possible then my next suggestion would be to contact Janome and ask for help. They will probably direct you to an area Janome dealer but they may help you if they can see your machine. I would ask for a price before letting them do anything to the machine.

www.janome.com/.../

If you have a Michael's or Jo Ann's near-by you could ask them if they have the name of a Janome repair person that might help you.

You can also Google Sears Service Center with your zip code for a center in your area. If you call and they are open then you can take your machine to the shop and ask for help. If everything on your machine is in good shape then you may not need for it to be serviced so just ask if they can tell you if you need a part or what do you need to do to fix it.

These are expensive machines so you should be able to find someone that can tell you what you have set up incorrectly that is causing this to happen.

There are also several sewing machine forums that will help people with problems so maybe check some of these out. You will have to join (free) to ask questions.

www.quiltingboard.com/.../

Sorry that I could not be of more help but this is not a machine that I ever seen or worked with.
Here is a link to a PDF manual if someone needs it.

www.janome.com/.../

Best Answer

I have the model 415 and I think you are talking about the small plastic level on the side of the needle that you pull down and put through the eye of the needle to thread the machine. if this is the case then the plastic piece is bent and this is your issue. When you lower this piece it should lower down behind the needle and then when you reach the eye of the needle you push it forward. Once the thread is on the hook you can move it backwards and lift it up. This threads the needle. The piece should be up high and towards the back and not forward. If it is forward you have an issue with the spring on the needle threader. You may have a bent spring that needs to be replaced. You can try and remove the screw on the side and take a look at this one. It sounds like this piece needs to be replaced.

Answer this Question

I have a Janome Memory Craft 4800. After cleaning out all of the packed in lint from the feed dogs, bobbin holder, hook race, and changing my needle, the bobbin thread still gets bunched up. Can this be fixed from home?

By Susan B

Answers

Best Answer

Probably not.

I do some sewing machine repair (I'm self-taught) for my sewing students and from your description it sounds as though a part inside the machine has either broken/worn, or become mis-aligned.

Only someone with training (preferably factory or a course), experience, and the proper tools will be able to open the machine, find and resolve the problem, and then put the machine back together in a way that means the machine will operate properly.

Answer this Question

My New Home 6000 sewing machine only sews in reverse. How do I fix this? Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Your reverse level is stuck in the down position and is not moving so the machine can go forward and not reverse. You'll need to check the level and if you can't get it unstuck from the outside of the machine you'll need to remove the cover and check the level from the inside. A lot of time a small drop of oil can cure this problem or there could be a broken part that is causing this.

Answer this Question

I have a Janome My Excel 4023. The stitch select dial turns along with the stitch display, but machine will only sew a straight stitch.

Answers

Best Answer

I own one of these machine and normally there are 3 setting that need to be set to get it to do the other stitches. There is one dial that you set the letter on, the second dial you set the stick design on and the thrid one is the level that tells you the stitch size. After setting all of these and the machine will still not do the correct stitch there is an issue with the arm of the machine. You can try opening up the case of the machine and putting a drop of oil on some of the parts to see if this will help. Other than this there is a part inside the machine that is broken and should be repaired.

Answer this Question

Can you help with my problem? I have stripped and serviced my New Home SS2015 machine, but I need to know the correct position when the needle is down in relation to the bobbin unit. On zig zag it is only doing a straight stitch as not picking up thread on one of the down positions of the needle.

I have tried moving the belt onto a different cog, but nothing seems to work. The needle does go zig zag. The pics show both positions of the needle on zig zag. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

You may have to contact Janome (New Home) and ask for help. They may have a video as you must be trying to work this out without really knowing the correct procedure.

www.janome.com/.../

This is also a forum and they try to help people with troubleshooting their machines.

sewing.patternreview.com/.../81125

thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/.../janome-troubleshooting-faq

It's possible someone on this site could help you but it's a good link to keep as they have all the accessorizes/parts for this machine.

www.sewingpartsonline.com/janome-ss2015-sewing-machine-parts...

Occasionally Michaels or JoAnns Craft stores have names of Janome shots and if all else fails you may have to take it a shop.
Also, Sears Service Centers usually have someone on site that can do minor repairs or adjustments to any brand sewing machine and they will not charge as much money as a regular repair shop. Google Sears Service with your zip to find their location.

Just in case someone needs it - here is a free copy of a manual for this machine. You can find different manuals online but most will cost 'something'.

www.janome.com/.../inst-book-s-2015.pdf

Answer this Question

I have a Janome MC6000 machine. While sewing the balance wheel stalled and then only spun after that. Did I strip gears or break a belt? I can still manually raise and lower the needle.

Answers

Best Answer

It does not sound like you have stripped a gear on the machine if you can still lower and raise the needle using the wheel. It sounds more like a connection problem that the wheel is not engaging correctly so that when you supply power to the machine the wheel turns automatically to raise and lower the needle. You may need to take the machine into a repair shop to have it fixed. They may need to open the machine to adjust the wheel and the tension. The belt could also be old and slipping on the machine.

Answer this Question

I have an New Home Memory Craft 7500. The drive belt broke, can the machine be opened to replace the belt without issues to the computer or mother board?

Answer this Question

I have a New Home sx2122 sewing machine. Can anyone help me find out when it was manufactured? I have had it since it was new, but I've had it that long and I can't put a date on it. Also are parts still available for my beloved machine?

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I believe the first year your machine was made was in 1987 but not sure if they continued to other years.
These machines seem to be identical.
New Home and Janome SX2122 - just a different name plate so any part that fits Janome should also fit your machine.

You did not mention needing a manual but here is a link to a PDF if one is needed. There does not seem to be free one but this one is only $4.99 and all other sites seem to be over $10. You can also order a hard copy.

manualsoncd.com/.../

Parts can probably be ordered from any local shops that sell Janome but check out prices online also.

www.sewingmachinesplus.com/janome-sx-2122-parts-accessories...

You do not show a picture of your machine but this appears to be one like yours.

www.ebay.com.au/.../1882951745

If you have further questions - or problems - you can contact someone on this site. You'll have to join (free) but you'll love it as they have so many things for sewing you'll be looking for hours.

www.quiltingboard.com/.../

Answer this Question

I have a Janome MC 4900. The bobbin graphic comes up on the screen and I cannot get it off. The machine sews in straight stitches only with this on the screen.

I have cleaned the bobbin holder as well as the rest of the machine and still the same result? Any thoughts on what to do next?

Answers

Best Answer

There is something wrong with the bobbin sensor. You have to adjust it. A clear article with pictures can be found here: marcihaha.wordpress.com/.../

Answer this Question

My beloved Memory Craft 7500 has always been a workhorse. I was mending something tonight and the foot pedal started working only sporadically. It would only do one stitch at a time, or sometimes one after two depressions.

I could go stitch-by-stitch by pressing the up/down button. Do I need a new foot pedal? I have found them available online. I bought the machine new in the late '80s, so it is getting old.

Answers

Best Answer

Just in case you no longer have the original user manual to do a troubleshooting check, here's a link to the Janome support page with a free download (be warned: it can be a long download time):

janome.com/.../inst-book-mc7500-en.pdf
I do repair-refurb on mostly Singer mechanical machines - I'm not qualified to work on a computerised model. However, it does sound as though your foot control is going. But before you spend money on the replacement control, try cleaning the connection points on your machine AND the power cord. Hopefully it's just accumulated gunk (and it happens more often than sewers realise until it happens to them and the repair tech tells them what's happened:).

If that doesn't help, at least it won't hurt or cost you more than a few cotton swabs and some isopropyl alcohol spritzing (on the swab, not the actual connection points!).

After the cleaning, you can try the replacement control - make sure the one you buy and take delivery of matches the voltage-wattage on your original (roll the control over, there should be a plate or sticker noting the requirements, it may be on the machine right next to the connection point).

Be prepared for that not to work, however. A vintage machine, computerised or mechanical-electronic, will develop hiccups (ok, wearing out or breaking down of springs, gears, belts...) and eventually becomes a money pit, sad to say. You may be looking at spending a fair sum of money to keep it sewing, or buying a new machine when the repair bills mount up.

Best luck, I hope the fix is very simple (or inexpensive!) and you're back sewing very soon!

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesOctober 5, 2014
🍂
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Janome-or-New-Home-Sewing-Machine.html