Repairing a Janome or New Home Sewing Machine

Some problems with your sewing machine can be fixed at home by making adjustments or replacing parts. This is a page about repairing a Janome or New Home sewing machine.

My machine is working for normal sewing, but the overlock needle bar won't move. I have changed the needle, checked all tensions, and cleaned all the dust out.

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds as though it's time for your New Home to have a visit with a professional repair tech. You've noted changing needle, checking tension, cleaning dust, so I'm assuming you've also followed the user manual instructions for the settings needed - after those boxes are ticked there is usually only one reason a machine won't sew - a broken or worn gear/part/assembly within the machine. Generally this isn't something that can be handled at home - a pro has the service manuals, tools, and training to work out and repair the problem.

I have an Usha Janome sewing machine. The thread gets cut in a few stiches. Is it a problem with tension?

Answers

The tension may be too tight, the needle may be threaded incorrectly, the thread may be old or poor quality, or the needle may need to be changed.

I would start with trying a different spool of thread. If not that, then just the tension.

make sure your thread is not getting caught on the spool

Here is some info from a Janome web site:

Why does the thread keep breaking?

The easiest first step to correct thread breakage is to snip your thread at the spool and rethread.

If you have different sizes of spool caps, are you using the correct size? Threads can tangle around the spool pin and snap. The spool cap helps to prevent this.

Upper thread tension could also be too tight. Try lowering the tension (lower the number).

Are there any burrs or rough spots in the needle plate from a previous needle breaking mishap? Such burrs can cause fabric snares and thread breaks. Burrs can be smoothed with an emery board or fine sand paper.

The same results can happen from a burr or other damage in the bobbin hook.

Double check that the needle size is up to the job at hand. A fine needle cannot effectively stitch denim, for example.

How is the quality of the thread being used? All threads are not created equal. Threads with excessive slubs or knots will grab and break. Inconsistent threads will have weak spots that break, as will loosely twisted threads. Use good quality thread. Your machine will not get fuzzed up and your project wont fall apart!

Here is their web site if you would like to read more:

www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/janome-troubleshooting-faq

I have a Janome Memory Craft 4800. After cleaning out all of the packed in lint from the feed dogs, bobbin holder, hook race, and changing my needle, the bobbin thread still gets bunched up. Can this be fixed from home?

By Susan B

Answers

Best Answer

Probably not.

I do some sewing machine repair (I'm self-taught) for my sewing students and from your description it sounds as though a part inside the machine has either broken/worn, or become mis-aligned.

Only someone with training (preferably factory or a course), experience, and the proper tools will be able to open the machine, find and resolve the problem, and then put the machine back together in a way that means the machine will operate properly.

I have a Janome MC 4900. The bobbin graphic comes up on the screen and I cannot get it off. The machine sews in straight stitches only with this on the screen.

I have cleaned the bobbin holder as well as the rest of the machine and still the same result? Any thoughts on what to do next?

Answers

Best Answer

There is something wrong with the bobbin sensor. You have to adjust it. A clear article with pictures can be found here: marcihaha.wordpress.com/.../

My beloved Memory Craft 7500 has always been a workhorse. I was mending something tonight and the foot pedal started working only sporadically. It would only do one stitch at a time, or sometimes one after two depressions. I could go stitch-by-stitch by pressing the up/down button. Do I need a new foot pedal? I have found them available online. I bought the machine new in the late '80s, so it is getting old.

Answers

Best Answer

Just in case you no longer have the original user manual to do a troubleshooting check, here's a link to the Janome support page with a free download (be warned: it can be a long download time):

janome.com/.../inst-book-mc7500-en.pdf
I do repair-refurb on mostly Singer mechanical machines - I'm not qualified to work on a computerised model. However, it does sound as though your foot control is going. But before you spend money on the replacement control, try cleaning the connection points on your machine AND the power cord. Hopefully it's just accumulated gunk (and it happens more often than sewers realise until it happens to them and the repair tech tells them what's happened:).

If that doesn't help, at least it won't hurt or cost you more than a few cotton swabs and some isopropyl alcohol spritzing (on the swab, not the actual connection points!).

After the cleaning, you can try the replacement control - make sure the one you buy and take delivery of matches the voltage-wattage on your original (roll the control over, there should be a plate or sticker noting the requirements, it may be on the machine right next to the connection point).

Be prepared for that not to work, however. A vintage machine, computerised or mechanical-electronic, will develop hiccups (ok, wearing out or breaking down of springs, gears, belts...) and eventually becomes a money pit, sad to say. You may be looking at spending a fair sum of money to keep it sewing, or buying a new machine when the repair bills mount up.

Best luck, I hope the fix is very simple (or inexpensive!) and you're back sewing very soon!

I can't use my sewing machine as I have lost the pedal to it. Also the bobbin box it is old. The make is New Home. Where could I buy these?

By Julie

Answers

Best Answer

You don't mention how old the machine is, that may affect your ability to easily find a replacement. If you have a sewing machine repair shop nearby, they may be able to order you a new one. If that is not possible you might try searching the various on-line sites that sell replacement parts for New Home machines. Good luck.

My wife has a New Home Memory Craft 6000 sewing machine she bought new in '85/86 and dearly loves it abilities. She has made many articles. When last used it stopped mid-stroke. The 'balance wheel' is solid, frozen up. Any ideas or checking suggestions? My suspicion is the drive motor.
Your thoughts please. Thanks.

I have a Janome Memory Craft 6000. When the power switch is turned on the motherboard 2.5 Amp fuse blows. What is the problem and solution?

Answers

The machine is blowing a fuse because it is getting too hot. If you are not sewing really heavy material for excessive amounts of time, there is something wrong with the machine. Call the store you bought it from and have them look at it.

Hi Judy:
Thanx for your reply (good to know what you state in your answer) to my machine problem.
The split second after the power is switched on the fuse blows and there is no signs of life (no power) on the machine - all lights out and, of course, no chance of any movement. Power cord and foot control check OK.

This is a great machine but is somewhat delicate.
I have always found great support (and answers) when I contacted Janome directly. Here is their web site if you would like to send them an email:

janome.com/.../

I have a Janome 234D sewing machine. It has new needles. I can't seem to tension the left thread at all. It is like a spring has sprung. I would appreciate some help.

Answers

Best Answer

I'm not at all comfortable with overlockers but I did find a manual for the 734d (an updated model of your vintage machine but similar enough to be off help!) and am posting the link for you in case you no longer have the original to your machine:

janome.com/.../inst-book-7034d-english.pdf

It's a free download, and if that doesn't help you, the only advice I can then give is to take it to a repair tech with experience on overlockers. I do standard domestic machine repair-refurb work on my Sewing 101 student machines but as above - I'm not at all experienced with overlockers. Wish I could help more than posting a link to a similar model user guide!

My machine is running, but it won't sew.

My New Home sewing machine no. 593103485 will not sew. The needle does not go up or down. The machine is making the right sewing noise, but not moving the needle.

I have a New Home 110 sewing machine, but the lifter is not lifting the foot. It moves up and down, but the foot doesn't - any ideas of what to check?

The machine is engaged as the needle moves up and down.

I want to learn how to clean and lubricate my Janome Elite Pro 5124 sewing machine. The local sewing center won't let me watch them and says it's too complicated. I installed my own electricity and plumbing (with permits) on my fire-sale house. I can do this; I just need instruction. Is there a resource for written instruction?

My Janome sewing machine will only do a straight stitch, the zig zag will not work.

By MK

Answers

Depending on the age and model of your machine (under warranty, or an older machine), it sounds as though the gear used to change from straight stitch to zig-zag is failing. If you have knobs-dials-buttons, the trouble could be there, too. This is a fix for a qualified repair tech if the following doesn't solve your problem:

Are you absolutely certain you have everything set on the machine for zig-zag sewing? All the knobs-dials-buttons switched to the correct setting?

Is the stitch width set for z-z?

Are you using the open toe presser foot?

If none of that helps, it really is time for the machine to be seen by a pro.

I tried to power on a new Janome 7330. It came on and went down and refuses to come on again.

I have a Janome 4618LE and my foot pedal won't work. There is power to the machine it just won't sew using the foot pedal.
Help please.

I have a Memory Craft 8000 sewing machine. It just stopped sewing. I turned it on and off several times, but no help. The bobbin still spins, but won't turn on to sew. The machine will turn on, but not sew. I have cleaned out all lint and even sprayed air out of a can to see if that would help, it did not. I have tried auto and manual sew and neither will work. What can I do? Thanks.

Answers

Does your machine have a mechanism which disengages the sewing engine so that you can wind bobbins? Check to make sure that isn't the problem, please?

It may come as a surprise to many, but sewing machines greatly benefit from regular maintenance, particularly if they get heavy use. Take it in to a shop for a check up and tune up. One of the great wheels may have worn out over time.

As the 'shock reboot' you've tried hasn't reset your computerised sewing machine back to factory default - it's time to find a qualified repair tech with experience on computerised sewing machines. It might be the mother board, but the trouble might be something else - best to have a professional look at it.

thanks I appreciate your time. sound advice

thank you for your help, your time is appreciated

I have a Janome New Home 2202 sewing machine that is about 6 weeks old. The foot pedal will work fine at one time, and then not work at all at another. I don't change anything, not the thread, the bobbin, anything and it simply doesn't supply any power. When I call the store, they tell me how to re-thread and re-do the bobbin. I have done this many times to no avail.

What gives?

Answers

You have rights - but depending on where you are those rights may only be in effect for 90 days after purchase - check your receipt for more information. Too, Janome is a sewing machine manufacturer with a good reputation and all their machines, no matter what country sold in, come with at least a one year warranty including on parts.

It sounds as though the foot controller is faulty - and the shop is trying to avoid honouring the warranty - they'd be in a real hurry to tell you if their agreement with Janome doesn't include warranty coverage, so it's almost dead cert they do and should honour their responsibility to the consumer. Do a little research first to be sure the shop is responsible or if you need to contact Janome for replacement parts or servicing. If the shop is responsible you should physically carry the machine (and all the bits, and your receipt) back to the shop, insist on speaking to the manager, and you will (hopefully) leave with either a new foot controller or a completely new machine. If the shop says they need the machine to be checked over and tries to tell you they have to have the original receipt as well - BE VERY WARY. This scam is on the uptick in the UK, US, and Latin America, and has cost people their sewing machines. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR ORIGINAL RECEIPT - if they won't accept a photocopy, and won't give you a proper shop ticket (stating they've taken your machine for servicing/warranty honouring) - grab your machine and run!

Contact Janome through their website pages for your country and make a complaint about the shop - no reputable company wants their products sold by disreputable stockist. And at the same time, request assistance from Janome regarding getting your new sewing machine in reliable working order - they will be very happy to assist.

You should have a 1 year guarantee on this if not more. I would take it back and demand it repaired or them to give you a new foot peddle. This shouldn't be happening and they are just putting you off each time you call. Take it back to their service department and ask for a new foot peddle for your machine.

I have a Janome SL30X, about a year old, it suddenly jammed up on me back last year while I had been quite happily sewing with no problems. I have taken this machine back to John Lewis who can get it sewing within minutes but with no explanation, the last time I tried it as soon as we were home but after a few stitches it jammed again! Counless times I have tried to resolve the problem but can't figure it, I dread the thought of going back to John Lewis. Please can you help!

My reverse stitch button stopped working. Is this something I can repair?

I have a Janome 12000 that needs a new motherboard. Is it worth fixing?

How do I install a drive belt on a Memory Craft 7500 sewing machine?

I have a New Home sewing machine and the spool pin is pushed too far down to be able to pull it up. Any ideas how to fix this?

I have a Janome New Home Sewing Machine HD3000. The hand wheel is turning stiffly and the speed of stitching doesn't differ with pressure on the foot pedal; it is slow. Does it need to be lubricated?

I need to find a way to repair my Janome New Home Mc7500. It sews great on medium weight, but when I sew on sheer curtains it seems to gather the fabric. I noticed the bobbin tension is very tight to the point of breaking! How do I fix this?

It has been in the shop and I was told the bobbin case needed to be replaced, but since the machine is so old the parts aren't available. I did find a new bobbin and face plate. The machine is still doing the same thing. Can anyone help me to find a fix? I don't have the money to purchase a new machine!

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesOctober 5, 2014
🎃
🍂