Threading a Sewing Machine

Category How To
Making sure your machine is threaded correctly will help it work properly. This is a guide about threading a sewing machine.

I have trouble seeing the eye on my sewing machine to thread it. I found this very helpful. Thread machine as normal. Then lower the pressure foot and raise the needle to its highest height on sewing machine.

Make sure you sewing machine light is on. Put a small piece of white paper behind the eye of the needle on your sewing machine. You can then see the eye very easily. Just aim for the small light hole in the needle.

Here is a tip to thread a sewing machine correctly and quickly. Once you have found the right way to thread your sewing machine take a close-up picture of the machine, make a drawing, anything you can think of to keep it in mind, but here's the trick. When you need to put on a new thread cut the old thread at the level of the feeding bobbin. Tie a knot with the new thread you want to use and the one you have finished using. Gently pull the old thread just above the needle. The new thread will follow the way and go down to the needle. You don't have to try to remember if it goes through or around or under all these complicated little things. The new thread just follows the way the old one went through. Easy and quick way to thread a sewing machine correctly!

Hope this helps.

Does anyone out there have an easy way to thread a self-threading sewing machine? I have a Singer #1748 and am having a really tough time trying to thread the needle with the self threader or even manually. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mahalo in advance.

By Judy from HI

Answers

I never use the self threader on my Singer, I think it is a royal pain. However, when I do have trouble getting the needle threaded, I grab a small piece of white paper and hold it in back of the needle. That seems to make it easier.

Take a small piece of scotch tape and lay it sticky side up, pull your thread taunt across it and fold it over with the thread as near the fold as possible. Now, using your scissors, cut off the excess tape leaving a small sliver of the fold. Cut the end off at an angle and thread it through the needle then cut the taped end off. If you are still having trouble, prop you piece of paper behind the eye to make it easier to see.

I spray the end of the thread with hair spray and blow it dry. This stiffens it up just enough to make it go through the hole easier. If no hair spray is available, spray starch works great too.

I have a chunk of beeswax that I run most of my threads through before I try to thread any needle. Though, to be honest I have used an old piece of candle wax before too. I usually do this for hand sewing, but have done it on the machine as well.

I recently acquired an older all metal sewing machine named Precision Sewing Machine Deluxe - Dressmaker. It has all the parts, but I don't know how to run the thread through the tension thing. I hope someone has one and can walk me through it. It's not like any I have seen before. Thank you in advance.

By Terry from Las Vegas, NV

Answers

Sew What's New Archive - "DeLuxe - Precision Sewing Machine"

16 posts - 9 authors - Last post: Oct 27, 2005
in absolutely perfect condition labeled "DeLuxe - Precision Sewing Machine" in a beautiful hardwood cabinet. After cleaning and oiling the swn-archive.sew-whats-up.com/archive/t-10529.html

DeLuxe Precision Sewing Machine Manual

DeLuxe Precision Sewing Machine Manual. back to index.
bypatrice.com/sewing/deluxe_manual/

Hi! I put Precision sewing machine deluxe in Google and came up with these two, which, on their face didn't appear to be sales sites. I didn't look at them, but I hope they have the info you need, or maybe they could help you find it. Good luck, Happy Thanksgiving, and may God Bless you and yours. E

Hi Terry, it's Amie from Pinkpeas. This is quite a coincidence because I bought a machine at a yard sale last summer and finally got around to Googling and looking for a manual. I stumbled across this post. I cannot BELIEVE the odds of that.

How did this turn out for you? Did you get your machine working? I don't even know if mine is functional at all. I MUST talk to you about this when I see you next!

I just got handed a Precision sewing machine deluxe model 3692 with no manual and I'm totlly lost I've never used a sewing machine before and don't have a clue what to do so if yall can help I'd really appreciate it

I have a Singer sewing machine, model 2638. I need to know how the needle picks up the bobbin thread. How do I enter it into the machine?

Answers

Go to Singer.com I have found them to be EXTREMELY helpful

I bought this machine for $20.00 it really is cute, but I can't find anything on the internet. If I can thread the bobbin and the needle I will be good. I am completely lost. Could you help me identify it.

Answers

Find the name brand of the machine. Google it and look it up that way. I have a Brother sewing machine and long ago lost the instructions on how to use it. I goggled the name and was able to find not only instructions on how to use it (about the 1 machine I owned) but items to buy for it like bobbin, threads, accessories, etc.

I need to thread a Singer Merit 3013 sewing machine.

By Brady

Answers

Here's a link to a free print-out (you can pdf it) of the threading instructions:

http://www.sewu  ding_diagram.htm

Usually on a machine this old Singer posts a free download of the user guide but when I checked the Singer site (USA, we can access it from here in the UK), the booklet is listed as a paid hard copy ($15USD).

What is an easy way to thread a heming machine? Thanks.

By Perla

Answers

The answer depends on your model and manufacturer. If you don't have a user guide you can usually download one free from the maker's website.

Or using the model and manufacturer name plus the words 'how to thread' in a search engine term should bring up several pages of results linking to user or maker posted threading diagrams you can save to your computer then print out.

I have a New Home 950 sewing machine and need a threading diagram. Does anyone know where I can find one?

By Pauline H

Answers

This site in the UK offers a free view of a pdf they sell:
http://sewingon  ctions/newhome1/

Also, try here, for history on the company, and info on where to find the manual:
http://www.isma  ewhome/home.html

I can't get my sewing machine threaded.

By Melinda

Answers

Just take it to a local sewing machine shop. They will show you and probably won't charge you. If they do it will be just a small amount. Take a marker and draw where the thread goes and write instructions as needed. Also let them show you how to work the bobbin. They will also clean your machine if you are not doing it yourself. I have found that the bobbin case collects lint and needs to be cleaned from time to time. I do this by spraying a little endust on a large water color brush and going around the inside of the case.

I need help threading a Good Housekeeping sewing machine, model 301.

By Suef from Deerfield, IL

Answers

Not sure if they have your model but try: usersmanual.com otherwise have you "googled" your make and model?

How do you thread a Kenmore model 117-959 sewing machine? Does the bobbin go in clockwise or counter clockwise?

By Susie from Milwaukee, WI

Answers

Anonymous

How about the trial and error method? First try it clockwise, then counterclockwise. If you are interested in purchasing a manual for that sewing machine, you can:
http://www.sewu  ction_Manual.htm

How do I thread a Singer Merritt 3013 sewing machine?

By Jenifer from Panama City, FL

Answers

If you go to www.sewusa.com, you can type in your sewing machine type and model number. It will allow you to print off a free threading diagram. I hope this helps.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to make threading a sewing machine needle easier? Thanks.

By Nancy from Longview, TX

Answers:

Threading a Sewing Machine Needle

When I am sewing I make sure I have a piece of white paper nearby that I hold in back of the needle while I run the thread through the eye of the needle. This makes the eye easier to see. (04/23/2010)

By redhatterb

Threading a Sewing Machine Needle

A small magnifying glass will help. I bought a sewing machine with an automatic threader on it, but it worked only 1 time. I guess the end that catches the thread broke off, by then the warranty was no good. Good luck. (04/23/2010)

By kffrmw88

Threading a Sewing Machine Needle

You can buy a small package of needle threaders in the sewing section. The needle threaders have a small piece of tin on the end and the other end has a looped wire. Starting at the back of your sewing machine push the wire through the eye of the needle, drop the thread through the large loop and pull the threader out from the back. Your machine is threaded. (04/23/2010)

By MCW

Threading a Sewing Machine Needle

There is a threader with a magnifying glass (plastic) attached. You can also use a candle to stiffen the thread and make it a little easier. Always clip the thread with the sharpest scissors you have as another reader stated. (04/23/2010)

By treguy

Threading a Needle on a Sewing Machine
If you misplace your needle threader, (as I did today) place a white index card behind the needle, and you will be able to see the eye of the needle more clearly, thus making it easier to thread.

It will also help greatly if you clip the end of the thread with the scissors.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Answers:

Threading a Sewing Machine Needle

Another thing you can do is to spray your thumb and forefinger with hairspray and then run them over the end of the thread to stiffen it a bit. It'll go right through the needle in no time. (08/10/2006)

By Meari

Threading a Sewing Machine Needle

I was struggling to thread my sewing machine needle until I hit on the idea of placing a piece of black fabric behind it, this too makes it much easier to see the eye. (09/10/2007)

By Tinkerbell