Unlocking a Murphy 4017 Cedar Chest Without a Key?

I have the Murphy 4017 chest. I'm looking for any help in how I can unlock it without the key or how I might be able to purchase a key.

Thanks in advance for any help

Best Answer

You can try the 'bump' technique that is demonstrated in this video (says Lane cedar chest but these locks are about the same type) just to see if it will work for you. I've heard it does work sometimes.
The only problem that may occur with this solution is that you will probably destroy the lock and have to buy a complete new lock assembly for your chest.

If that does not work (or you do not wish to try it) I would suggest you pay a visit to a local key shop and ask them for help (advice only as a keysmith may charge more than you wish to pay). They may have blank keys for this type of item.

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-unlock-a-lane-cedar-chest

If that does not work then maybe try asking for help at your local Ace or True Value Hardware stores. They make keys but they may also have a compound that you can use to try and make a mold (in your lock) for a key.
This same information may also be available at your local auto parts stores.

Another suggestion:
I have found 2 for sale listings for a #4017 chest and you might want to try and contact them to see if they will make a paper copy of their key and email it to you.
A really 'helpful' person may even make a copy of their key for you - for a price of course.
I believe this would be my first step as a copy of the key could be taken to a locksmith and they may find a suitable mold to use.
If not, there are key shops that make keys from pictures.

www.ebay.com/.../141427558853

offerup.com/.../

Thank you for all of the help that was posted. I will look at all of these options and see what I can do.

Best Answer

This company makes keys for those antique and rare locks, from furniture, trunks, chest , etc. - https://antiquekeys.net - They can help you!

It is possible to remove the lock from the cedar chest to get it unlocked. There are several ways you can do this. Here is a website that will make it super easy for you to do this yourself.

The locks are easy to remove or you can remove the hinges on the back of the chest. Follow the directions here - www.hunker.com/.../how-to-unlock-a-lane-cedar-chest

these locks are generally very easy to pick

Consumer Advice Collectibles FurnitureApril 23, 2020
🌻
🍀
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Unlocking-a-Murphy-4017-Cedar-Chest-Without-a-Key.html