Uses for Food Scraps

Food Scraps
Food scraps don't have to go in the trash, they can be used or recycled in a number of useful ways. This is a guide about uses for food scraps.

If you are a mother who periodically finds half a peanut butter sandwich, the bottom of a cupcake or a partially eaten cookie left by a child whose eyes were bigger than their stomach, there is a solution other than the "momism" about starving children in Africa (China, Bangladesh, Uganda ...). In a friend's house, the scraps are deposited in a large, covered, plastic container labeled, "good-will can". The children know that these leftovers will be put out daily for the birds, squirrels and other animals who share the world with us. We have attracted many varieties of birds and small animals that are fun to watch and and have taught the children that they can share with those less fortunate who are not human

I do this with leftover cat food, and food scraps but I put it into a freezer container. When the containers are full and there are a half dozen, I take them out to my daughter's dog who thinks they are a wonderful treat. They arrive in a red grocery bag and this dog KNOWS that they are for him (he shares with his cat too!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

If you know anyone that has chickens, save ALL your scraps, peelings, and fruit skins and give them to the chicken's owner. This keeps my garbage disposal and septic clean and the chickens have fruits and vegetables year round. Everyone is a winner!

By The Red Head from Bozeman, MT