Using Baking Soda to Unclog a Bathtub Drain?

I saw a tip using baking soda to unclog a bathtub drain. I didn't bookmark and now can't find it. Can anyone recall the tip?

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I use a small box of baking soda, I spoon it (if you try and pour it it will usually clump up) down the sink and then follow it with a medium or large sized bottle of white vinegar. it really foams up. Let it sit as long as you can without running any water in your sink so it can get the gunk out of your pipes.

Another hint: Run another box of baking soda and a bottle of white vinegar through one of your wash cycles in HOT water, you'll be surprised at how dirty your washer really is!

By nettie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

For clogged drains or just to freshen drains I put about half a cup of baking soda down the drain then pour in about a cup of vinegar. It will foam and bubble for a minute, then I pour boiling water from the kettle down the drain until it stops foaming. Works great.

By NoChemicals (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Forget using baking soda and smelly vinegar. Go to Walgreens and buy a 'Zip-It' drain cleaner. Slip it down into the drain and pull all the slime and hair out in less than 30 seconds.

No smell, no fizzing up, no follow up procedures. Just a clean drain.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 364 Posts

It was probably: warm water in drain, then baking soda, then vinegar.

Pour a half a cup of bicarb soda down the drain dry. Then pour 1 cup of vinegar down and leave it for 10 mins.Then pour a full jug of boiling water down last of all. It has always worked for me good luck.Also one of those old fashion rubber plungers are handy to have they work really well too.

By Brigitte (Guest Post)

Actually, the tip I got from the Biosphere in Montreal many years ago, was 2 tablespoons baking soda, 1/4 vinegar, then a kettle full of boiling water- In that order (you might need to play with the quantities, I generally eyeball it, and have since forgotten the measurements)

goodluck!

By carl bledsoe (Guest Post)

depending on what the clog is try the following:
baking soda and cold white vinegar
worse clog: baking soda and boiling white vinegar
hair clog: a cup of bleach left in the drain overnight and follow with baking soda and hot water in the morning.

By Dean (Guest Post)

I don't know if baking soda would work or not.Clogged drains are usually the build up of hair,soap scum and other debris.To do the job right lift the drain out and clean it and replace it.Using chemical can react to the metal by corrosion and cause a leak.

Diamond Feedback Medal for All Time! 1,023 Feedbacks

Make sure you always follow the baking soda with vinegar. I keep putting in vinegar as long as it fizzles. it usually takes less baking soda than vinegar.

Then after it sits for a while, run hot water through the drain.

By (Guest Post)

I had a very slow draining tub.I just put about a cup of baking soda down the drain, dissolving it a bit with boiling water then I poured a bunch of vinegar down let that sit a bit then poured more boiling water down then hot water then plunged. Now it's only somewhat slow draining tub - fast enough to let the shower water down. Good luck.

Editor's Note: You only need about 2 TBSP. of baking soda so because you put in so much baking soda you will need lots more vinegar to work with it to keep it from clogging your drain more. The action between the baking soda and the vinegar is what unclogs the drain. I keep pouring in vinegar until it stops fizzing, then put in the hot water. Boiling water isn't necessary, just hot tap water will do the trick.

By jackie (Guest Post)

i read that if you mix baking soda and vinegar together it will work.

By Heather (Guest Post)

Every three months or so, pour a half cup of baking soda in the drain then slowly add a half cup of vinegar. Let the mixture sit in the drain for a few minutes and then rinse it away by running lots of hot water down the drain.

This will not only keep your drains free running, but clean smelling as well.

By Natty (Guest Post)

I tried the baking soda with the vinegar to unclog my bathtub drain and it did not work at all. I followed the directions exactly how multiple websites had suggested, but it didn't work. Maybe my drain is extremely clogged and this should be used as a monthly cleansing solution. I'm not sure I just know it did not work for me.

Okay. What I want to know is if the baking soda/vinegar will work on a clog that is not responding to Drano? (Not completely clogged, but very slow-moving.) Does anyone know? Thanks.

Anonymous

Yes a cup of baking soda and half a cup of white vinegar but when u do that make sure you block the drain then pour hot water it works great

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingJuly 18, 2006
🍂
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Baking-Soda-to-Unclog-a-Bathtub-Drain.html