SubstitutionsFood Tips

Using Cornstarch Instead of Pectin When Making Jam

If I use cornstarch in my jam recipes instead of pectin, will it change the shelf life of my jams? Is there any reason I shouldn't use cornstarch?

I'm not a jam expert but I have cooked with cornstarch a lot and it presents no problem. It is a good substitute in vegan products for instance it is great for lemon curd

i see many online recipes that use cornstarch, or that advocate adding conrstarch if things are not solidifying as they should

i think an issue with it is that it thickens rather dramatically so one might have to be careful of that

Years ago when I learned to can from an 80 + year old expert, she warned me never to use corn starch. Said it turned jam to poison. It may have when she learned to can, but today there are some camps that now say it is ok if the recipe calls for it and some stick with her thought.

There is a good article below in this link. Me, I still here Irene's words in my head....but my logic isn't fact :).

Also I am jaded as I got very sick from something I canned not following her rules so I am a bit squirrelly about canning all together. Freezing is more my cup of tea these days!

www.healthycanning.com/.../

I would not use it. It might affect the texture

We don't have pectin where I live. In order to substitute for pectin, I use lime juice and the skin. I will use a garlic grader in order to grade the skin of the lime very fine. I add 2 tablespoons of lime juice and around the same for the lime peel. This will jell your jam and make it perfect. I've never had an issue using this when I make jam here.