StylingHair Tips

Using Expired Home Perm Curl Activator

Does the thioglycolic acid curl activator in home perms expire or go bad? I have had it for quite a while and it's turned brown. Can I still use it?

Most chemical treatments have a shelf life of a year or so. I would not use this, especially if it changed color or odor. If texture changes, it is also time to toss.

Do not use - replace with fresh product as it is inexpensive compared to the damage it could do to your hair.
I'm not familiar with hair dye but I know that once a product with any type of chemical reaches its use by date it is time to consider tossing it.
It may have the potential to harm your hair but at the very least it may give you a "new" color that you may not really want.

Also, all hair is different - texture/condition/type - so be safe and buy the latest date you can find and follow directions carefully.

I would look for the company name on the back of the box and call them to verify, but they most likely will tell you to pitch it if has changed color.

Better safe than sorry!!

By how long expired though?

My suggestion was based on her comment " I have had it for quite a while and it's turned brown. Can I still use it?" so from this statement I assumed it had been a long time after the expiration date and had changed color.