Using Old Home Perm Products

Does the thioglycolic acid curl activator in home perms expire or go bad? I have had it for quite a while and it's turned brown. Can I still use it?

Answers

Best Answer

Most chemical treatments have a shelf life of a year or so. I would not use this, especially if it changed color or odor. If texture changes, it is also time to toss.

Best Answer

Do not use - replace with fresh product as it is inexpensive compared to the damage it could do to your hair.
I'm not familiar with hair dye but I know that once a product with any type of chemical reaches its use by date it is time to consider tossing it.
It may have the potential to harm your hair but at the very least it may give you a "new" color that you may not really want.

Also, all hair is different - texture/condition/type - so be safe and buy the latest date you can find and follow directions carefully.

Answer this Question