Using Votive Candles

Category Decorating
Votive candles are an easy way to add color and light to a room. They are inexpensive and come in any color or scent you might want. This is a page about using votive candles.

Working nine years for a premium price point lamp manufacturer at the International Home Furnishings Market in High Point was an awesome learning experience. One tip I discovered, although simple, has served me well since I love to burn candles when we entertain.

With over a thousand lamps, candle holders, and decorative accessories to keep in pristine condition throughout the whole market, attention to detail had to be constant and efficient. Each morning when I replaced candles in votive cups in many of their products, I carried a watering pot along with new votive candles. By pouring about one-fourth inch of water in the votive holder before adding the candle, I could easily remove the used candle and any wax that had accumulated before replacing it the next day.

By Sandy Bass from Elon, NC

I often buy the little fragrant votive candles while on sale and keep plenty on hand. They just smell so good. I put one in the corner of drawers or boxes that hold clothes or storage items, in the "junk drawer" and file cabinet, etc. It makes things a little more pleasant at no extra cost.

By applejack from KY

I used to put the glass votive candle holders in the freezer to 'pop' out the old candle wax and that works, but I have found a much easier way.

I run about 1 teaspoon of water into the glass votive holder from the faucet, then put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Microwaves vary, so run it long enough to completely melt the old wax. Be careful, it gets very hot!

When it's just cool enough to handle, I simply take a paper towel and wipe it out dry. You're done. You don't even have to wash it because it comes out so clean. Obviously you cannot put a metal votive in the microwave, so the freezer is still a good idea for those.

By Patty from East Peoria, IL

I had a small votive I wanted to redo with a candle of my own. It had melted in the back seat of my car on the way home. Knowing that candles freeze and then last longer, I thought "what do I have to lose"?

After just an afternoon in the freezer, I took it out and the melted candle came out like it wasn't ever "one with the glass". Now I have the pretty glass votive for my own candle. This works great if you have gum stuck to your clothes, too, by the way!

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Salem, OR

Home and Garden Home Improvement DecoratingFebruary 26, 2015
🎃
🎂
🌻