Using the Pressure Relief Button on a Water Filter

There is a red pressure relief button on my water filter. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. Why would I want to relieve the pressure? When should I hit the button?

It prevents the housing from being damaged in the event of a leak.

What kind of water filter? Stand alone? On the refrigerator? Brand? Maybe with more info I can help!

It is a filter that stands between the main feed from the well and the rest of the house.It is a Watts filter.

You should just leave it alone. Companies need to add these in case of an earthquate or other natural disasters.

In cases like this the water pressure can build up in these devices and will explode. That is the time you hit this button and only then.

Thanks for the additional info. I suggest calling the company to verify the instructions. Their main number is 1-978-689-6066.

Some brands require the pressure relief button to be deployed in a specific sequence every time you change the filter.

I am not sure what their sequence is so you will need to confirm with Watt's what they recommend.

If you have a plumber change the filter, he/she can will take care of it and you will not need to do it at other times, unless the plumber recommends it.

Post back with what you learn!

I change the carbon filter in my whole house water filter every few months. In order to do this correctly, it is necessary to release the water pressure on the filter's housing unit.

It is impossible to remove the outer casing holding the filter without releasing the water pressure. There are several good you tube videos if you want a visual of how this is done. It beats calling in a plumber

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingDecember 1, 2019
🎉
🎄

PlumbingHome