Antique FurnitureFurniture

Value of an Andrew Brothers Cedar Chest

I have a cedar chest with "Andrew Brothers, Mattoon, Illinois" on the inside.
All I could find on the internet is that company dissolved in 1915. Any idea of its value?

Thank you.

Since the company dissolved in 1915, this chest is over 100 years old, and an antique. On eBay, antique cedar chests go in the $200 to $400 range, for the most part.

Interesting, I thought I knew all of the US trunk brands, but I am not familiar with this brand.

It will be hard for someone to value this piece without seeing it, as there are so many variables when pricing antiques--especially trunks. Things like damage, bad smells, changes to hardware, rust, and modifications can devalue a piece tremendously.

I have two suggestions:

1. Find a reputable antique store and ask them to give you an insurance value on it. That will be higher than retail, but will give you an idea of what it may sell for if you are trying to sell it.

2. There is an historical society in that town (see link: www.coleshistory.net/)

Contact them and see if they have any interest in purchasing it for their collection (or if they can help you value it).

You may find it has little money value, but would be of value to them for a display. I have donated many items to the Pittsburgh Historical Society so I find this to be an amazing way to make history come a live--especially if something has more value as history than money value.

Post back what you learn!!

Blessings!!

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Antique FurnitureApril 15, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂