Water Bottle Tips and Tricks

Category Beverages
These bottles whether stainless or plastic can be convenient for a variety of things, as well as, keeping cool drinking water close at hand. This is a guide about water bottle tips and tricks.

Do you have one of those water bottles that you see pretty much everywhere now days? I'm talking about the ones made of metal or plastic that you can refill over and over again. I own several of them, and I really like them. My children carry theirs around all the time.

My one gripe about them is that if you put ice in them they "sweat" all over everything. I've found a solution to that problem. Simply put a sock over the bottom of the bottle. The sock will absorb the "sweat" and will also help keep your drink cold longer.

Source: I saw my father-in-law using a sock on his drink bottle.

By Mary from Montrose, SD

My kids are in sports and practices are right after school. By the time school is over, the water I packed in their gym bag in the morning is warm. I started freezing half the bottle of water the night before. In the morning I take it out of the freezer and fill the bottle the rest of the way. They always have cold water for practice.

If you are like me, I have to have my drinking water really cold. Taking a water bottle to work doesn't work because it gets warm. This way by freezing half the bottle, you will have cold water to drink all day.

By shelly from Ravenna, MI

Now that the time has come to begin to refill our freezers with summer's bounty, I have a tip for all of you who, like me, like short cuts and saving money. As you know many foods have to be blanched before freezing and then cooled down to stop the cooking process before putting it in the freezer. It's the cooling down part that always slowed me down and cost me money.

I would always fill my sink with a couple inches of water and then add ice cubes to that and then I would set a large flat pan of food in the sink on top of this to help it cool down. I never had enough ice and would have to run to the mart and buy bagged ice. That was money spent which cut down on my savings of putting the food up in the first place. Then I tried freezing ice in larger containers which did help but not a lot.

I have learned through trial and error to keep a lot of 12 oz or smaller drink bottles that have had their labels removed and been washed thoroughly in my freezer at all times. When I am blanching and freezing now, I blanch, put in a flat pan and then I lay several frozen bottles on the food. You can stir your food over it, under it, and around it. It cools quickly and you can just pop the bottle back in the freezer for later usage. I just rotate the bottles and always have some frozen.

I came up with this idea because I always keep water frozen to take with me outside when I am working. I saw all of the frozen bottles and gave it a try. It works. No more bought ice. No more worry about water getting into the food and it works fairly fast. I sincerely hope that this tip will save you both time and money. Remember also that a full freezer (all the bottles) runs less often than an empty one.

By Trish from Chatom, AL

My 3 year old granddaughter loves that I make a hole the size of a straw in the lid of her bottled water container. It makes drinking so much fun and easier. It also keeps Grandma happy too because there are no spills.

By Louella from Billings, MT

When cooking food that calls for it to be immediately cooled with ice (like hard cooked eggs or vegetables that you are freezing after blanching), I used a bottle of frozen water that I usually keep in my freezer to take along for a cold drink all day. I was short of ice and decided this worked just great. When done, return the bottle to the freezer.

By laniegirl from Belle Plaine, Iowa

I always carry a bottle of water to drink in my van. I save the 'sippy tops' from water bottles and put them on the bottles of flavored water that I like. This makes driving safer, as there have been no spills or dribbles if I hit a bump.

Has anyone designed and made a hose that could fill lots of 2 liter bottles at the same time?

By beeky from Hertfordshire, England.

Answers

Becky, you can by an attachment to the faucet that can be used for that. It has a little valve on it that you can turn off and on if you don't want to use it that way too. Any home improvement store should have it.