What Breed Is My Dog?

What type of Pit Bull do I have and how big will he get?

I think it is a blue nosed pitbull

Your puppy has a very sweet face!! It is really hard to tell exactly what he is.

Recently, I have been doing lots of research Pit Bulls/Bully Breeds because this pups are so misunderstood and found this super interesting article which talks about how hard it is to figure out what breed these fur kids are when they come into shelters:

barkpost.com/.../

So all that said...if it were me and he was coming in as in intake, I would say he has a lot of American Staffordshire Terrier in him....

www.akc.org/.../

He may or may not have the blue nose lineage...this nose thing makes the breed even harder to understand and I have yet to have someone explain this to me clearly, as the blue nose variety of these pups sometimes do and sometimes do not have a blue nose...per this article. Next time we get to the vet, I want her take as she is awesome with this stuff!

americanbullydaily.com/.../

So long story long...this may be one of the times that the doggy DNA test is worth a try...although I will warn you, all of my friends who have done them have been disappointed by how much came back inconclusive or uncertain, but if you have the money, you could try it.

You could also get your vet's feedback. They are usually (at least mine is) spot on on identifying breeds by looking at teeth, bones, jaws, hips, etc.

Wishing you and your pup a long and happy history!!

It may mean nothing, but the 1st thing I thought looking at your dogs picture was schnauzer. I think particularly the ears and shape of the head. I wouldn't bet any money on it though. Very cute dog.

I'm not sure your pup is a pure bred Pit as I believe the true Pit's ears are further apart on the top of their head and may "flop" differently.

• He sure has a stocky build and looks very healthy.
  • I hope you have started his shots/vaccinations as these are so important and should not be neglected for any reason. The sad stories we hear from owners that neglected these basics would break your heart.
  • Ad

• here is a list just in case you do not have a schedule yet:
  • www.akc.org/.../
  • Your vet can probably give you a very good idea as to the breed of your dog as they have completed a lot of studies in this area as well as first hand experience.
  • If you would like to know for sure what breeds your pup has then only a DNA test will give you that. Here is some information on a DNA test.
  • www.caninejournal.com/.../
  • DNA test kits can be purchased at pet stores, large WalMart type stores, Farm supply stores, online (Amazon and others), and your vet.
  • Cost for these kits usually run between $40-$200 based on how extensive you want to test.
  • Most people just use the lesser one unless they plan to breed and sell the pups.
  • Nice chickens...