What Breed is My Dog?

I adopted a dog from the shelter a couple years ago thinking he was a Golden Retriever, but he's too fine boned and thin to be one.

We were thinking he was a German Longhaired Pointer when I was looking in a breeders book, because the picture looked just like him. But the pictures on the internet of a GLP don't look a thing like him. Thanks for any help.

By sassafrass1995 from Chehalis, WA

I think he is definitely a Golden Retriever, and a very beautiful one! According to Wikipedia, hunting type Goldens "tend to be smaller and have a less dense coat than their conformation line counterparts, and they are usually darker in color". My golden retriever looked just like yours, and was from a hunting breeder.

I agree with Cat51819. He definitely looks like he is part Golden Retriever. Looks a lot like my retriever I had many years ago. They are such smart and sweet dogs. You picked a good one!

Beautiful dog! Please be kind to him and love him. He looks sad, I hope he is not on that short of a chain all the time. Not good.

Your beautiful dog is the most beautiful, loving, faithful dog there is. He or she is a golden retriever. You are so lucky! I hope you have children because goldens love kids. Good luck with him. He looks like he could use a little love and grub. They are very soft hearted so don't yell at him or her for awhile.

Sure looks like a golden retriever to me or at least part golden. Please tell me you don't keep this beautiful dog chained up to that pole all the time! No dog deserves to be chained!

There are German and American retrievers long hair and short hair my sisters and mother just this week bought my brother an 8 week old American short haired medical retriever for his diabetes. Your dog looks a lot like the one they got for my brother which is a short haired American one, so good luck with that.