What Breed is My Dog?

I saved a puppy that was on the highway. I was wondering what y'all think she could be? Thanks.

By sasha

Darn cute is what I think! Sorry, I couldn't guess on the breed!

Head+ears+neck+chest=Staffordshire Terrier (aka pit bull or Staffy) or Boxer, possibly a mix of the two.

Snout+paws+body+what I can see of the tail=Lab

If you are lucky you might just have a Boxer/Staffy/Lab (best of three wonderful breeds and fairly easy to train), but only a vet and a DNA test (currently around $300USD) will know for sure.

You can do a Google images search to see photos of the three breeds to get an idea, and do a search of mixes of the three, too, because your new pup does look like a mix.

As you may know, Staffies have something of a bad reputation; Boxers likewise although not as bad. Labs have the best temperament reputations but are also a handful in puppyhood as are the Staffy and Boxer pups, and all three breeds don't reach true maturity until around aged three years. All three breeds are prodigious chewers, be forewarned, lol!

If you chose to keep this absolutely gorgeous little miss, start her training now so that as she matures she will be a wonderful addition to your family. I can't stress hard enough that gentleness is the key to successful training!

The extremely intelligent Staffies and Boxers have a VERY strong sense of 'fair', and will sulk if treated harshly. It is possible to be firm and gentle at the same time, though. There are too many to list good books out there on raising a happy and well adjusted Staffy, Boxer, and Lab-check what is available free in your library, and of course the Internet is another good source of info.

Be advised that many towns, cities, counties, states, and international locales now consider Staffies and Boxers 'dangerous breed' animals, and have enacted strict laws about them. Some areas ban them altogether, and those that don't require owners to have the dogs professionally trained, chipped, and insured against property and people damage.

I was raised with Boxers, have raised hundreds of AKC Boxer litters, and have always made sure the pups went to their new (and very carefully chosen) homes with at least the basics of training-housebreaking, socialisation to children, cats, and other dogs, at the very least. Any puppy showing aggressive tendencies was held back from adoption until I was sure the dog would not get into trouble.

My cousin raised Staffies. He likewise worked very hard to ensure puppy and new home were well matched, and that the pups did not go to homes where the dog would be used as a 'thug status symbol'.

I beg you-if you do not want the very heavy responsibility this dog entails, place her NOW with a breed rescue group who will have the resources to help her find a good, safe, and responsible home.

Dustin, she's adorable & you were wonderful to rescue her from the highway! Whatever she is, best wishes to you & your puppy; I wish you many happy years together!

You lucky person you! This dog is a Pit or Pit mix...so adorable..there are no other dogs as loving as these are no matter what you have heard!

Here is a place with tons of information on training and such...I just love this little cutie! www.pbrc.net/

Blessings, Robyn

I have this pup's twin, and he's the best dog I ever had!

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 2, 2012
🍀
💘