What Is This Plant? Lamb's Quarters

Known by common names such as lamb's quarter, pigweed, and goosefoot, chenopodium album is a fast-growing annual. It is mostly considered a weed, but the young shoots are eaten around the world, and has been found in ancient food storages. This is a guide about, "What is this plant? lamb's quarters".

The second mystery plant in my yard originally looked almost like a little pepper plant, but it got a lot bigger and made all these little green seed pod clusters (which I opened up to inspect). The weird part is that I don't recall it ever blooming, and I was watching for flowers. Ignore the white flower ball in the background. That's my onion blooming.

Answers

Best Answer

This looks like lamb's Quarters to me (Chenopodium album). The leaves should be mealy--tiny powdery granules that rub off-- and yes the flowers are very, VERY inconspicuous.

A tasty wild edible when first sprouting.

Best Answer

Yes this appears to be lamb's quarters. Edible when young, monstrous weed when tall, but it should be easy to pull.