Making Your Cut Flowers Last Longer

I have tried many things when it came to getting flowers on special occasions; even picking ones from my rose garden. Sugar and aspirin are the couple I did most often. With this I added a penny. I was never sure why, but my Grandma always did this so of course it was a good thing!

I recently was reading a article in some magazine while waiting to go into the doctor appointment. I found a very interesting fact, today's pennies do not have enough copper in them to do anything as a helping fungicide. So if you do this helpful idea make sure your penny was made before 1981. Find one and keep it just for the bottom of you cut flowers.
You'll be able to enjoy them so much longer. If cutting them from your yard, early morning is better, flowers are holding the moisture from the night before.

Source: Article at doctor's office from older magazine.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

24 More Solutions

When I receive beautiful flower arrangements, my first thought is "How am I going to water this without getting water all over the table or tablecloth that it sits on." In fact, it worries me so much I don't water them as often as I should. All you need to do is save your plastic straws. Insert one of the straws into the floral form and pour the water through it. No more water on the table and it's easy enough that you can do it every day until the flowers need to go out to the compost pile! Works on all floral arrangements. If your hands are shaky, use a smaller glass to pour the water into the straw.

A floral arrangement with a straw for watering.

Last week, I received some beautiful fresh red roses, which I immediately put in a vase. However, we happened to go away that weekend, and when we came back the roses had drooped considerably, but otherwise were not in bad shape.

Did you get some cut flowers? Here's a little prep work you can do to make them last longer. Using pruning shears, make a fresh cut at the bottom of the stem. Do this under running water.

To make fresh cut flowers last longer, use 1/2 water and 1/2 soda, such as Sprite or any clear color soda. Your flowers will last for weeks and weeks and they will remain beautiful.

Another tip for keeping flowers fresh and even for revival is to put some fizzy clear lemonade into the water. This will revive them fantastically.

When cutting fresh lilacs, use a hammer to lightly crush the woody part of the cut ends to about 2 inches up the stem. The lilacs will then take up more of the water in the vase and stay fresher longer.

The mock orange have woody stems. In order to prepare them to draw more water in the vase, I crush the stems with a hammer. The flowers can last longer that way.

Bouquet of Siberan iris, peony, and mock orange blossoms

Keep them in ice water, as much as you can. Store them in the refrigerator at night (in the winter, you can put them outside on the back porch). I have gotten cut flowers to last 2 weeks this way.

If your children are like mine, anytime I cut fresh flowers, they ask to take a pretty bloom to their teachers. Rather than trying to keep the stems moist by wrapping them, use a plastic floral tube. You can purchase several for a dollar at the floral counter in your grocery store.

Throw a couple of pennies into the water with your fresh cut flowers to keep them alive longer!

Fresh cut flowers should always be placed in warm water rather than cold because the stem will absorb the warm water more rapidly. This prevents air bubbles from blocking the stem.

I have magnificent hydrangeas bushes in my back yard. Sometimes, a flower will break off or has a very short stem. Rather than throw it away, I put it in the refrigerator in a shallow bowl with water. I enjoy it every time I open the door!

To prolong the life of cut flowers in a vase, add a couple of drops of chlorine bleach. Never submerse any of the stem with leaves in the water. It adds to the decay factor.

To keep your freshly picked flowers alive longer, add sugar. Add 1/2 tsp sugar for every cup of water.

Fresh flower bouquets are wonderful and can last much longer if, besides all the usual methods of adding conditioner/aspirin to the water, and freshly cutting stems and so on, you prune your bouquets. . .

Will adding a citrus-flavored soft drink like 7-up to the water make cut flowers last longer?

Answers

It does, but I avoid it because it draws ants.

I have always had luck with a regular aspirin or the packet that the florists give.

I bought this interesting bunch from a flower market last weekend, and I'm sure the sign next to it said "we don't need any water" but I want to confirm that and can't remember the name! Please help :)

Answers

Perhaps they will dry out therefore there's no need for water. They look like a variety of Thistles.

All the little red/green stuff looks like sedum, which is a succulent. It wouldn't need much water if it is.

Answer this Question

Should you put freshly cut bittersweet in water or hang it to dry if you want to use it in a decoration? I have found conflicting information.

By Janet F from New Haven, CT

Answers

I have dried it in the past with very good luck. I have never put it in water.

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersOctober 19, 2011
🎂
🎃
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000761.tip.html