Cooking TipsFood Tips

Preparing Potatoes for Potato Salad

My husband loves potato salad, but I seldom made it because for me, it took a lot of preparation time. Not any more though since I discovered this trick.

Now when I prepare potatoes in the pressure cooker for supper, I just add a few more to have left overs. While we are eating, those extra potatoes are cooling and after finishing our meal, I dice them and make potato salad to have for supper the next night.

By Litter Gitter from NC

This is the way I prefer to prepare potatoes for potato salad.

Wash the potatoes. Do not peel. Put potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Put lid on pot and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 20 minutes and turn heat off. Do not remove the lid. Let sit for 3 hours. Drain and chill potatoes by adding ice cubes around the potatoes. Peel and dice.

When you mix potatoes with the other ingredients, the potatoes stay firm and do not come to pieces.

Instead of boiling your potatoes for potato salad bake them. It keeps the potatoes from getting waterlogged and weeping into the salad. I bake them the day before, let them come to room temp, then put them in the fridge over night. When they are cold they are very easy to cut up.
If you like, cut them into the size you want and stir them with oil based dressing (I like Italian) and bake them in a single layer; roast and brown them for more flavor.

Source: Years of sloppy potato salad the next day

By Scott E. from Chicago