TipsFrugal Living

Watch For Pests In Secondhand Items

contest winner icon

So many people like to "dumpster dive" or find furniture that needs to be picked up and hauled away. I moved into an apartment building which has been infested with several types of bugs, bed bugs, cockroaches, and who knows what else. A lot had to be due to these second hand items.

Everything should be carefully inspected. Even microwaves are at risk. Anything like couches and chairs should be checked for black spots on the furniture; signs of bed bugs.

A friend of mine got a microwave at a rummage sale and it had cockroaches nesting in there. Any pots and pans should be checked as well as she found a nest in these items before she could get them washed. Please take the extra time to protect yourself and family!

By cj from Minot, ND

I have always been leary of buying used things. My concern used to be of just bedding and upholstered furniture, but I have read several articles about bedbugs also being found in wooden dressers, tables, etc. If not the actual bugs, but signs that they had been there. I have also heard of people having roaches in the microwave. I am also leary about buying used clothing. A person just can't be too careful.

I can see being concerned about some items. But refusing to buy anything used goes against my frugal nature. I'd never buy used beds but linens, clothing, etc can easily be thrown in the washer and disinfected. When I buy anything of that nature it never comes into the house from the garage where my washer and dryer are until it's washed. I never buy used electrical appliances like microwaves, coffeepots, etc. I'd never say no to a good deal on a piece of furniture but after reading here I think I'd be leery of buying anything upholstered.

Yes please do be careful! While we are not sure, we think my daughter got head lice from an article of clothing at a second hand store, I have been into them 3 times in the last 2 years because of it and not for clothing. Which sucks as I've lost a lot of weight and would love to have the ability to shop there. IF you do try on clothes at these places here is a few tips we've amassed.

#1 If you are a woman, wear your hair up.
#2 If you must try on something, wear 2 layers, when you get to the car, take the outer layers off to launder at home.
#3 May or may not work but a light spritz of tea tree oil in your hair and on shoulders can help ward them off.
#4 Don't buy something you can't take home and high heat launder or put in the freezer for a while.

While I realize I'm being paranoid, the pains that we went through with the lice, still lies fresh in our minds, 2 years later! And yes, the bedbugs are everywhere, even in the clothing.

I always launder my clothes before I donate them, but that is common courtesy that I think people know, but after working in a Goodwill as the Assistant Manager years ago, I've seen it all and know that people don't all have the same mind to be clean like me!

Here is where to go if you do accidentally get infested.
http://helpihavebugs.com/
Advion roach baits work wonderful. I order them all the time. I am practically free of them finally but I buy them for friends. I have used the gel bait which is great but I love the discs. You can get about five of them for 15 dollars. It is well worth it. The next morning after the day you have them out, the roaches will all be stumbling around like they are drunk.

The bait in a tube is great but hard to use in a way. Once you get the end cut off, it is easy to put little bits of it everywhere. The discs are easier. The bait in a tube lasts 3 weeks, the discs, the plastic "motels" last as long as there is bait in them. They are truly wonderful. T his company makes tons of things but the ones I am talking about are here, and you can watch the video and actually call this guy with any questions.

http://helpihavebugs.com/

Blessings,
Robyn

You can have pests in new items as well. I read a tip in the newspaper that says to put all clothing and bedding you buy in a hot dryer for 20 minutes as soon as you get it home. This kills bedbugs, as lice, I'm sure, as well. I have been doing this for about a year now.