AdviceHealth & Beauty

Taking Vitamins, Minerals and Herbs

My parents are in their 70's. And both of them are doing fairly well with regard to their health. There are things they can't do that they used to and they have no problem telling you that. But they really don't make that comment often. For that matter, my father still does construction every now and then for himself or with our pastor. His only complaint is how sore he feels the next morning. Then he goes at it some more.

My mother gets pamphlets and booklets in the mail with headings like "Three Miracle Foods To Youth", "Five Secrets Your Doctor Doesn't Want You To Know To Stay Healthy" and "Nature's Way to Fight Cancer". My mother goes through these with a fine tooth comb to see if ANY of the info they provide (without buying their book) makes good sense. But even without my mother's obsession to research God's natural healing remedies, my parents are healthy.

I chalk this good health and enthusiasm to two things. My mother makes most of their food from scratch. Nothing she didn't can herself, very few items made with preservatives and less items made for instant gratification. The second thing is the vitamins, minerals and herbs they take each morning.

Take a minute and think about how food was prepared and sold fifty years ago. The process for most foods today removes most of the nutrients and health benefits food used to have. Maybe that is why a larger majority of people are obese, dying at a younger age and suffering with ailments before they hit their 50's.

Here are some of the vitamins, mineral and herbs my parents take each morning to give them a boost and to help them stay healthy. If you have ailments or discomforts there may be a supplement for you. If you don't seeanything here that looks like it will do the trick do yourself a favor and go to either the site for Puritan's Pride (http://www.puritan.com/) or Swanson (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/) and request a catalog (or just look around). Either book lists supplements and describes what they assist with.

BE SMART! Before you start adding supplements to your life, consult your doctor. Ask them their opinion and find out if anything you are considering would conflict with any medications you may be on. More than likely they will not but be sure. While you are at it, ask him if he thinks the supplement would be beneficial.

Here is what my folks take and why:

• Royal Jelly - for skin
  • Flax Seed Oil - for heart (vegetarian version of Omega 3 and 6)
  • Magnesium - arthritis
  • Papaya Enzyme - for digestion (also good for bee stings)
  • Biotin - healthy nails and hair
  • B12 - blood cells and nervous system
  • Selenium - immune system and helps prevent cancer
  • Folic Acid - healthy heart (may prevent birth defects)
  • Zinc - helps prevent age spots, obesity and foot odor
  • Vitamin C - helps immune system and is an antioxidant
  • Vitamin D - bone health and immune system
  • B6 (B complex) - good for canker sores, menstral, water retention and irratability
  • Calcium - bone health and strength
  • Cranberry - urinary tract
  • Ginseng - circulation
  • Fiber - helps you feel full when on a diet AND promotes healthy functioning of the GI Tract (helps you go #2 in the bathroom)

• Melatonin - is a natural sleep enhancer (it helps you stay asleep)

These bottom two are easier to handle if kept cold (they don't stick to everything)

• *Vitamin E - Heart and immune system (also good for cold sores on lips)
  • *Garlic - heart and cardiovascular (also takes the stink out of farts)

And remember those books I mentioned? One of the things my mom learned from one of those books is soda from a can has the possibility of increasing your chances for dementia.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN