Goulash Soup

Ingredients

• 2 lb. stew meat, cut in 1 inch cubes
  • 4 onions, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. marjoram
  • 1 tsp. caraway seeds
  • Ad

• 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt (or taste)
  • 2 green peppers, cut in strips
  • 2 tomatoes, sliced
  • 2 small potatoes, cubed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 beef bouillon cube
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red peppers (opt.)

Directions

Brown meat with onions and garlic in very hot shortening, add salt and black pepper. When brown, add 1 cup of hot water and let simmer for 15 minutes. Then add bouillon cube, paprika, tomato paste, caraway seeds and marjoram. Simmer for 20 minutes. Then add remaining water, tomatoes, green pepper and potatoes. Also add crushed red peppers at this time. Simmer for 20-30 minutes longer. Good served with hard rolls.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Oh, I looked at the other goulash recipes on here, and this one sounds best. I am going to try it tomorrow with the addition of sour cream, and serve it over noodles. Thank you for posting it!

Hi, Robin. I tried this recipe for Goulash today, and we just loved it! I really enjoyed your use of spices. I have not cooked much with caraway, and the combination of caraway, paprika, and marjoram, with a touch of crushed red pepper, was really good. I made only one significant change, and that was just the addition of a little sour cream, which each person was able to use or not. I didn't stir it into the pot. Thank you for posting this!

Copasetic 1 - Barb.