Chickpea Pita Burgers

You can make the uncooked patties a day ahead and keep covered in the refrigerator, separated with wax paper.

• 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed
  • Ad

• 4 green onions, trimmed and sliced
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 pita rounds (6 to 7 inch), split and halved

Directions:

Pulse the chickpeas, scallions, egg, flour, oregano, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor just until a coarse mixture forms and then form into 4 patties.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, add the patties, cook until golden, about 4 to 5 minutes, then turn and continue to cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes.

Spread condiments of choice inside pita halves and add your choice of veggies such as onions, tomatoes, sprouts, lettuce, etc. along with a patty inside each pita and serve.

By Ann

I wish my family liked garbanzo beans or chickpeas as much as I do. I was first introduced to them as Garbanzo Beans that went into the most wonderful Spanich Bean Soup served at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City (the Latin section of Tampa, FL). The soup was just the best soup I'd ever tasted, I thought, and readily accepted Chickpeas in salads later on.

They are not really so different from some other beans, but they are mealy, and when mixed with the other ingredients like in your recipe for Chickpea Pita Burgers, they even taste
a lot like meat. At least, they do for me.

This is a fine sounding recipe, and I might make them just for me. I will enjoy them all by myself if I have to. :-)

Thank you Deeli,
Pookarina